Kegging my Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tj-los

Reaction score
Im just about ready to keg my cider. I did let the yeast finish with its buisness, Now Id like to back sweeten with a can on apple concentrate and force carb. Can I do the following with out having to add any other yeast killers?

1.) Cold crash
2.)Transfer to a keg
3.)Cold Crash
4.)Add my concentrate
5.)Force Carb

I am thinking once I start the cold process and keep my cider cold that will be ok. Is this a bad assumption?

Thanks all.

I'm confused again. I thought "cold crashing" is a combination of chilling and racking. How can you "cold crash" after you put it in a keg?

what you would want to do is rack off the lees, cold crash, rack into the keg, then add the concentrate and force carb.

Why do all that racking? Why not just rack it into a keg then stick it in the kegerator. Once its cool (~24 hours) use gelatin to pull the yeast out of suspension. Let it sit for another week at kegerator temps. The first pint you pull will be a sludgy yeasty mess. After that you are literally in the clear. At this point you can backsweeten to taste. As long as it remains at kegerator temps, fermentation won't kick back off.

You should be fine, and I think you're doing a few extra step that aren't needed. I've done 6 batches now without killing off the yeast. I leave in primary for about a month, then rack to secondary. Once it's clear in the secondary or aged to my liking, I rack to a keg and put it in the fridge. It's always stays crystal clear and fermentation doesn't start back up. At least not by the time I drink it all, which is usually within about a month. If it does ferment a little more while in the fridge and dry out a little, just add more juice concentrate to sweeten it up again.

Latest posts

Back