Kegging Kombucha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendog15

Reaction score
I make 5 gal batches of Kombucha out of a 8 gal brew kettle using a continuous brew system. I keg it up after 30 days in ball lock corny kegs and put it on tap in the keezer.

I usually add some fresh squeezed juice (tangerine and pineapple) to the keg, then rack the Kombucha on top before I carbonate the keg. The problem is, I’m experiencing a lot of separation. The juice will settle to the bottom, so the first couple pours suck all the juice out of the keg, then I’m left with straight Kombucha. The only solution I can think of is to shake the keg, but I can’t pull out a full 5 gal keg and shake it every time I want a glass.

Any advice? Or do you have any experience with juices or flavorings that stay better incorporated in Kombucha without so much separation?

I've never had separation, but I don't add the juice to the keg. I usually add it before that, and then move it to the keg. I wonder if you let it sit at room temperature for a few days after mixing well if it would stay mixed up and no longer separate.

Back