Kegging issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubicon

Reaction score
So I searched before I ask, so this is my first time kegging, and no matter what I do I keep getting glasses full of foam. I'm running out of ideas

So things I have tried/done
- I have approx 10 ft of 3/16 beer line to the tap ", up from the 4 ft I got with the kegerator.
- a tower cooler (diy, but the tower is cooler then ambient air temp)
- I pressureized the keg at 30 psi for 15 hrs and set to 12 psi serving, I've adjusted the pressure up (20 psi)as well as down (4-6psi). 24 hrs between adjustment.
- lubed all "O" rings
- calculated the balance pressure/line length ( should be approx 10ft)

Now onto the equipment, I just bought a new danby kegerator as well as a new corny keg, I've installed ball lock as well as swivel conectors, all this equipment is new.

I cooled the keg to approx 32-34f air temp, the beer when it does come out not all foamy ( even once the foam dies off in the glass) it's cold to the touch.

I forced carbinated almost 5 days ago, and every day I try something different, but the result is still the same! Foamy glasses of beer. I can see in the beer out line that the co2 is coming out of solution and making huge voids in the beer, I know this is causing my foam issue. When I watch the pouring of a glass I can see the bubbles forming as the beer goes into the line, I though I had a CO2 leak inside the keg so I lubed up all the "O" rings and coated all the fittings (ball lock,swivel, swivel barb) with lube. It help abit but I'm still having co2 forming inside the line. So what do I try next?

I'm still enjoying the beer but would enjoy is much more if I could have a glass of beer and not so much head.
Thanks
For the help

Yes the keg post are tight and the "o" rings are lube.
No once the beer settles down to a liquid, it's still has bubbles in it, it's defeniatly not flat. It's taste like draft beer that you would buy in a restaurant.
I found even if I take the head pressure off, And turn the co2 on to push the beer I still have foam. I had the top off this eve to lube the "o" rings, and the beer was carbonated and no visible issues in the liquid. Plus it's not just the first one, it's every glass. I pour a large jug and it does the same. I tip the glasses/jug/ container, they are clean and dry.

The beer that comes out of the tap looks like it's foaming right from the start and never gets better.

Yes the keg post are tight "O" rings are lubed.
No the beer is still carbonated after the foam subsides/drunk off the top.

Besides over carbonation, the only thing I can think of is there's an issue with the seal on the dip tube. Maybe the tube isn't set properly? Does it have two raised lines on the side of the dip tube that need to slide into grooves in the keg hole? Some tubes are like that. I would change the o-ring under the dip tube, and check the seat on the keg.

Are you using universal poppets, or the type with feet?

Also, how long do you have the door open on your kegerator? Perhaps your lines are getting too warm? Seems to be a combination of many things to see that much air in the line.

Can you hook up a different keg and see if the problem persists?

:mug:

I have poppets with feet, I removed and reseated them and the issue stays. As for how long do I have the door open, sometimes as long as it takes to pour a foam glass, or just to check and see how much co2 is in the line, or just to bleed the head pressure off the keg.

Not sure if it makes a difference but my co2 tank is on the outside, (danby has a holder on the back) and the lines go thru a passage in the back of the fridge.

As for the dip tube, I made sure it pushed as far in as it could go. Not sure what you mean by raised lines on the tube.

No, I don't have another keg to try, I have another tap to try. I have the duel tap danby kegerator, as well I have different ball lock fittings I can try ( 1 straight barb fitting, the other screw on type)

I think this is what I'm trying tonight, swap over the fitting, and then try the barb one if the other one does not fix it. Swapping tap means I go to what danby sent for a beer line which is close to 3-4 feet.

Maybe it isn't your keg. Did you check the connector on the beer out post. These can also be taken apart.
Is the clamp on the hose tight or crimped? This can also pull air into the line.
And the last, are the lines hooked up correctly. I have done this with a new keg because in/out was not printed on the keg. I have since marked them.

I'm no expert, but I'd suggest trying the other faucet you said you could switch to. If there were a leak in the poppet or dip tube seal couldn't he see foam in the line coming toward the faucet? I only just started kegging this year

Did you add to the short line instead of replacing the whole line? If so the connection creates turbulence and creates foam. Did you by a real beer line. I had issues with the Home Depot vinyl tubing when I used to run long lines.

This is the reason I always push Sanke kegs. No dip tubes, o rings, poppets to trouble shoot.

Just hook it up with the 4ft line the tower came with and enjoy hassle free pours. Cornys are for soda...Sankes are for beer

So I was told we were having a dinner party, so I didn't get to play with my beer. So to answer the questions, no I replaced the line from the tap down to the quick disconnect. It's proper 3/16 beer line, yes the lines are tight and the clamps are tight as well.

What I did find was if I do a super slow pour I get more beer, but I still get a huge head. On looking at more over carbonated beer, and the issues, it seems like I over carbonate this. Not a 100% sure but that's what I'm leaning torwards at the moment, but I'm not sure. As the beer is not flat but I do lose the foam super fast ( I was watching YouTube for reference) just like over carbonated beer.

But I'm willing to try other ideas as well. I will try the other tap (hopefully tomorrow) and report back

Too bad you don't have another keg you can through some StarSan into and hook up to see whether connections are venturi-ing air between keg and tap.

Do you get only foam when using picnic tap on 10' hose connected to keg out, bypassing tower?

I picked up another keg this afternoon, so I'll try running some starsan thru it and see what happens. I keep bleeding the CO2 out, and it's finally getting better, I am get a 3/4 full glass of draft and the rest is foam. Serving pressure is closer now to 8 psi, it's getting better, I guess it's the learning curve, plus I was impatient! Now I know.

Latest posts

Back