kegging Info

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aug0202

Reaction score
I just recently started brewing! I fell in love immediately however the bottling process is a pain in the butt. So, I decided to start kegging. Then I realized that i know nothing about this so I went to the LHBS and they wanted $200.00 for a picnic tap kit (keg NOT included)!! they must be high! After looking online the kits I have found range from $140.00 to like $1000.00. Now, I am obviously a beginner and would like some help/advice on what websites or products people have had good expierience with and which ones they have not. whether to set up for Ball lock or pin lock or does it matter? Thanks for the help brew gods!!!

I would suggest ball-lock since you'll find more equipment/info related to this than pin-lock.

I used Kegconnection.com and was very pleased. They typically have decent prices, but I haven't compared prices only recently.

Looking at dual body regulators and single body regulators it looks like you can combine two single body regulaots to make a dual body regulator has anyone done this before?

aug0202 said:
Looking at dual body regulators and single body regulators it looks like you can combine two single body regulaots to make a dual body regulator has anyone done this before?

At Midwest supply they have an adapter to do it. I don't remember the price but its pretty cheap.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have gone pin-lock because they are less popular, just as good and cheaper. However, you CAN go both if you want...

So the way I understand, it is that both pin lock and ball lock are the same in terms of reliability. Just have different prices.

Different prices and slightly different dimensions. Pin locks are shorter and fatter. So it's a consideration when you're spacing our your cooler. You might be looking at a tight fit width-wise with pin locks.

But either will do. And you can swap out quick-disconnects on your kegging system to use either.

I just ordered a 5# tank, regulator and picnic tap (already have one) from Keg Cowboy for about $140 shipped (with the July 4th discount). I'll add a splitter eventually and add a second line.

Not sure if I'm going fridge or freezer, so I'm leaving the option open for collar/door-faucets or a tower.

I pretty much went with the same choice a ordered a pin lock kit from keg connections for 147 including shipping. I'm still amazed that I saved a 100 dollars in comparison to the LHBS. the kit arrives on friday and im sure I will have more questions then.

Back