Kegging help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manfield8

Reaction score
I have brewed a few beers over the last lets just say 5 years. This last year I decided to get some kegs instead of always bottling the beer, so I went and grabbed a keg, then saw a craigslist find for a keezer and 4 more kegs, then my brewing/work colleague found someone selling a bunch of 5 gallon kegs for $25 so I decided to get a few more to finish my collection. Anyways this past year I have brewed more than my previous 5 years combined because I don't have to mess with bottles...The kegging part has been going fine but what I cannot seem to get right is the force carb of the keg. I have 2 5 lb CO2 canisters one came with my first keg another with the keezer haul, I have went to a localish gas exchange place (Linweld) to exchange my tanks, but I have had to do it way more than I should. I just cannot seem to keep the CO2 in the keg or the canister when trying to carb up the keg. I have done everything I could think of doing to try and find or get rid of leaks but I just had a keg on CO2 for about a week and today when I went to take a look at it saw that the regulator said 0 for pressure...this one I changed all O-rings in keg, was a brand new regulator & hose and fittings for CO2 line, after hooking up tank to keg/regulator I sprayed so much water/sanitizer from my spray bottle to check for leaks/bubbles which I could find any. So I guess what I am asking the community is there something I might be missing as far as where a leak might be coming from? I just hate to keep throwing $20 of CO2 down the drain.

Do you have one of these nylon washers between your regulator stem and CO2 tank valve?
washer2.jpg
and these nylon washers (fish eyes) between all metal to metal flare fittings?
washer.jpg

Attachments

• 21QQSvUPbfL._SX466_.jpg
    21QQSvUPbfL._SX466_.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 15
You definitely have a leak!
A carbed up keg should stay carbed and only use some gas when you pour a glass.

Have you opened and checked your QDs? There's a small screw lid with a screwdriver slot in the top of QDs. Underneath is a small flat o-ring that seals the QD. If it's deformed or loose, it will leak.

The other place is the o-ring on top of the keg post. Keep it well lubed and replace if suspicious/worn. Gas can leak almost unnoticed along that o-ring when the QD is attached. That's the only seal to keep the gas from leaking there.
Also make sure the post is not damaged, as that may prevent a positive seal too.

The keg lid is another area. So are the rubber o-ring seals underneath the dip tubes. Then there's the PRV.

Back