Kegging Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eojnnamleppak

Reaction score
I've got 5 gallons of Hefeweizen sitting in a corny keg in my fridge, just transferred from primary tonight after cold crashing for 2 days. What's the best way to carbonate this? I have only force carbed before, last batch I did was really foamy. I'd love to have less foam on this one.

Focker Out

We need some more info on your kegging setup to help with your foaming issue. What temp is your kegerator set to? What was your serving pressure? How long are your serving lines?

I currently have a hefeweizen on tap, keg is around 40-42 degrees. I'm using 10 foot lines. I like mine carbed to at least 3.0 volumes of co2. So I have mine set at 18 psi, and I have no foaming issues.

I always use the set and forget method of carbing up my brews. I use this calculator to find what volumes of co2 are normal for the style and then use this chart to set my psi levels.

Serving lines are about 5 feet, I think they are 1/2" lines. Temp is about 39 degrees Fahrenheit. I force carbed and then set the serving PSI on about 5...any ideas?? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394081254.258801.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1394081296.764642.jpg

Focker Out

There's a lot of good reading about foam control over on the micromatic troubleshooting forums:

http://www.micromatic.com/forum/us-en/trouble-shooting-beer-quality-home/

I learned quite a bit about optimizing my setup from there. I used the 5' line that came with my unit for years and just dealt with the foam, poured off, let settle... etc.

Once I put an 8' beer line and a tower cooler my foam issues are no longer what they used to be. I still get some excessive on the first pour after a day or two, but nothing like it used to be.

Sandstonecity is right, longer beer line is where you want to start.

Thanks, my mistake...I AM using 3/16...but only about 5 feet long, I'll get some new lines this week and see if that helps, thank you!

Focker Out

You might also be force carbing for too long. I usually set to 30 psi, hook the gas to the out post and rock every 5 minutes for about an hour. I then hook the gas up correctly, turn down to 10psi and have semi-drinkable by the time the beer hits serving temp. By the next day it's good to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks...do you ever not force carb? I turned my tank on last night to 25 PSI and have just been letting it sit, no shaking or rocking yet. Good idea? Bad idea? I just feel like every time in force card I get so much foam until a week or so later after it settles down. Thanks!

Focker Out

I don't. I'm inpatient lol. I just rock vigorously for an hour and then turn it down sometime before it hits serving temp. The bad thing is I truly believe the sit and forget method makes better tasting beer. I try not to rock it after serving temp so it doesn't kick up any sediment.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back