Kegging from CF10 to Sanke Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOPtuary

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Guys Im getting close to needing to keg off my first beer, a lager, from my new CF10. I use Sanke kegs and not cornies. I have done plenty of small pressure transfers from my anvil brew buckets to my sankes before. I am just wondering to hear others processes since sankes are a bit different than cornies. Also looking to do a beer in the future that will be pressure fermented and carbed in the conical and how you guys transfer that. Any tips or suggestions would be great! Cheers!

You can get the cornie adapters to go on your sanke keg , but I would think you could rig up a transfer hose with the D coupler for sanke.

Some keg couplers have check valves that will prevent liquid to flow in the wrong direction. So you should check if your keg coupler has check valves.

Edit: I somehow didn't see the part about you having transferred to sanke kegs with another fermenter before.

Last edited:
Ya ive used them many times before but just gonna try to put the keg under light pressure and get the conical up to a bit of a higher pressure. I think im going to have to either use the ball lock connect or put an inline valve on the beer in. Just looking for what others are doing.

How did it go? Check out the thread in my signature line where I get to the part of transferring carbonated beer between sankey kegs. The ball lock adapter fittings are nice after you pull the check balls out of the keg couplers. Going to need some sort of sounding valve to hold the discharge pressure on your receiving keg.

No need to use ball lock connect; you should already have the stuff to do it if you have the "Closed pressure transfer kit" from Spike for the CF10. Looks like this. Racking port to valve to TC with barb to tubing to your Sanke coupler that you've taken the check valves out of (I call this one my "filler and cleaner") and you must have one if you have been filling Sanke's. In this pic I have some tubing going from the gas port into a bucket of starstan but I haven't been using that anynmore - you've always got more pressure on your CF10 than in the keg so nothing is going to come back in. Picture doesn't show it but I'm assuming you have the manifold on the top of the CF10 that you are connecting CO2 to. I fill my Sanke's with Star-san then purge them with CO2 when ready to fill, and leave a little pressure in. Then at transfer, bleed off some pressure so it's lower than whatever pressure I've got on the fermenter (mine is a CF5).

IMG_1155.jpeg

First take the duck Bill out of the sanke coupler so that it will vent out of the gas port. Then you need a spunding valve on the gas port to hold the same pressure that the beer is carbed to. No need for a valve as the coupler has a tap lever to make the connection open and close.

First transfer had its hiccups. For some reason the sanke tap i choose out of my pile of taps decided the push some beer into the keg and take some and push it straight out of the gas out port into my bucket of starsan. I kept working at this until i just switched out the taps and then everything worked fine. I probably lost a gallon plus of beer which was super frustrating.

I already have another batch in the CF10 so hopefully this one goes much smoother. I am going to try and carb this one in the conical if I can get it o hold pressure which I was having issues with the last batch having a slow leak.

How did it go? Check out the thread in my signature line where I get to the part of transferring carbonated beer between sankey kegs. The ball lock adapter fittings are nice after you pull the check balls out of the keg couplers. Going to need some sort of sounding valve to hold the discharge pressure on your receiving keg.

Back