Kegging for the first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelpeach76

Reaction score
I'm gonna be kegging for the first time and that also of course means...force carbonating for the first time. Anyway...questions. The main one is since I'm guessing that c02 force carbonating is measured in 'psi'...how many psi is the going average for carbonation? Obviously I don't want a cola, but I'd like a tad more than stout. Well, the beer I'm kegging is and American Red ale not sure if there is a protocol to that style. Hmmm...help?

I hate to sound silly.. but set it low, and let it sit in your cooler. High is 30psi -- low is 10-psi. Check it in a week and slowly bring up to about 15-psi which is where I end up usually. I think it is more preference/style based than anything!

Keep in mind too that your beer DRASTICALLY changes flavor after a few weeks/month etc-- almost always for the better. I can swallow green beer (1 week of carbonation in the keg) but I find that when I share with friends it has to of been in the keg under carbonation for a month or longer.

I set mine at 10 psi. It takes about 5-7 days to fully carb.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The number of volumes of CO2 that are forced into solution at that specified temp and pressure. The bigger the number, the more highly carbonated the beverage is.

Volumes of CO2, the number most bottle primers are familiar with. See the dropdown here for styles.

Set it and forget it is generally done at 10-18psi which takes about 3 weeks. Force carb is about 1 week at 30psi. I highly recommend set and forget as you can dial in the exact carb you want without over carbing. Google both method to get a better idea

I echo "Hophop's" comment. I generally carb a new keg at +/- 20 PSI for 4 or 5 days then drop to 8 to 10 PSI for duration of keg. (This doesn't take into consideration the amount of Co2 volume per style. The stuff you'd find in the charts.)

Back