Kegging Equipment Preferences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some ball locks. I'm not an expert, pretty new to kegging.

From what I've learned there are 2 main differences:
1) ball locks have a pressure relief valve in the top that can be used to easily burp or vent the keg when you want to purge air or co2. Pin locks don't (maybe some do, but not all).

2) different sizes. One is slightly taller and thinner, but I couldn't tell you which because I only have ball locks.

Ball locks used to be much more common, but because of demand by homebrewers I think the opposite is true now. The gas and beer fittings are not interchangeable, so you probably want to settle on one kind and stick with it for all your kegs.

Pin lock kegs are wider, so that could mean the difference between fitting 2 or 3 in a small kegerator.

Pin lock kegs are wider, so that could mean the difference between fitting 2 or 3 in a small kegerator.

And ball locks are taller, which might require a collar on a keezer.

fwiw, I'm a total ball lock fanboi...with two beer fridges and a 6 keg keezer that fit them without collars or other heroics...

Cheers!

Back