Kegging detective

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cimirie

Reaction score
Alright, I'm stumped. I've had my kegerator for some time now. I've got 3 ball lock kegs running to 3 faucets in a coffin box "powered" by a 5# tank. I've got a 3 line manifold (all with gas stops) and a dual-body regulator.

In the last 3 weeks, I have burned through 3 co2 tanks. I have covered every connection, every thread, every seal in the entire system with soapy water multiple times. Two weeks ago, I found a leak where the regulator meets the tank. I fixed that and thought I had fixed the problem. Week later, another tank dead.

I took the gas line in posts off each keg and inspected the poppets. They could use replacing, but no cracks and they still hold a seal.

Long and short of it is, I've got a leak somewhere in my system, but it's not leaking anywhere I can see it. Not a single connector or thread is leaking. Any out of the box ideas on hidden leaks?

I had a leak in a keg pressure relief valve that stumped me for a couple tanks. I ended up submerging each keg and all the lines in a garbage can (preferably a clean one) of water to find it. Not the easiest method, but I figured it was my only sure-fire way to solve it. The holes of the relief valve were big enough that the soapy water treatment didn't really show bubbles, because the water didn't cover the whole hole. It also kind of finicky, that twisting the relief valve either made it slow to a bubble every second or two, to an amount I probably should have been able to see with just soapy water.

One area to double check at least. good luck

2 things I can think of, which were problem areas when I had a leak:

The regulator to tank connection is under very high pressure (800-1200psi) thus making it one of the most likely spots to develop a leak. I know you said you had a leak there before; just saying that's probably the most important connection in the system. Also, mine wouldn't leak when it was cold out (800psi), but I guess as my garage warmed (during the day when I wasn't home) and the pressure increased, it was enough to leak out.

Also, the brass fittings on the low pressure side connections should all have plastic washers inside. I had leaks there as well before I added the washers. $.10 at my local brew store.

_JP_ said:
2 things I can think of, which were problem areas when I had a leak:

The regulator to tank connection is under very high pressure (800-1200psi) thus making it one of the most likely spots to develop a leak. I know you said you had a leak there before; just saying that's probably the most important connection in the system. Also, mine wouldn't leak when it was cold out (800psi), but I guess as my garage warmed (during the day when I wasn't home) and the pressure increased, it was enough to leak out.

Also, the brass fittings on the low pressure side connections should all have plastic washers inside. I had leaks there as well before I added the washers. $.10 at my local brew store.

My tank is in my kegerator so there isn't much in the way of temp swing. I didn't know about the low pressure connectors having plastic washers. I can check that. Wouldn't a leak there be visible with bubbles, though?

I lost a tank to the connection at the regulator. Got some gaskets from NB, they look more like wood that plastic, but it worked. Also, I had trouble carbing one keg due to a poor seal at the lid. Crank it up to 40psi to set your seals, then dial it down.

Are these what you used at the regulator/tank connection? http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/co2-nylon-washer.html

It’s similar to that. I can’t find exactly what I purchased, but that will do the job. Also, [URL="http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/flared-nylon-washer.html”]these[/URL] are what go in between your QDs and the hoses, as well as the regulator and hose.:mug: Note: Some of the new QDs have gaskets [URL="http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/ball-disc-1-4-mfl-liq.html”]attached[/URL]- just make sure wherever metal meets metal you have some sort of gasket.

Back