Kegging cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
12 psi. I know others like cider to be really bubbly, but 12 is just bubbly enough for me.

You can always start low and add more if it's not fizzy enough for your taste.

~3 volumes for my Apfelwein and ciders. I like em fizzy as a nice compliment to their thin mouthfeel and dryness.

I also keg at 12 PSI and about 37°F, so about 2.6 volumes.

I wouldn't think elevation would matter since the gauge is not reading absolute pressure. It is the delta between ambient air pressure and what is in the keg.

I wouldn't think elevation would matter since the gauge is not reading absolute pressure. It is the delta between ambient air pressure and what is in the keg.

You are correct. Elevation is irrelevant. The keg is a closed vessel. It will carbonate identically if in death valley or in orbit assuming both temperature and keg pressure are identical.

Temperature and pressure are the only variables in play. Over time disolved CO2 reaches equilibrium.

You are correct. Elevation is irrelevant. The keg is a closed vessel. It will carbonate identically if in death valley or in orbit assuming both temperature and keg pressure are identical.

Temperature and pressure are the only variables in play. Over time disolved CO2 reaches equilibrium.

I don't think this is right. Gas solubility is determined by absolute pressure, not gauge pressure. By definition, 1 volume is 1 gallon of gas at 1 atmosphere (~14.7 psi absolute) in 1 gallon of fluid. Higher altitudes will definitely matter when setting a gauge pressure on your regulator.

A quick search shows atmospheric pressure decreases approximately .5 psi per 1000 ft above sea level so you would to need to raise your gauge pressure accordingly based on altitude.

edit: Slide 9 of this pdf explains it better than I could. http://www.draughtquality.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Carbonation_PH-Final_1.pdf

At higher altitudes the gauge reads higher than at sea level. I always add 0.5 PSIG for every 1000 ft above sea level.. My beer has never been overcarbed using this method

Yup, you guys are right. I didn't think it through properly. There should be an adjustment at higher altitudes.

Latest posts

Back