Kegging before FG is reached

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscbert

Reaction score
I got everything sanitized and ready to keg before I checked the FG. I checked the FG and realized that I was about 8 gravity points from where I needed to be. Plus the sample was slightly carbonated. I decided to keg anyway and leave the keg at 70 degrees to continue fermentation.
Is there any problems with doing this? It's just like transferring to a secondary right? Plus I will get some natural CO2 and save a bit on purchased CO2.
Thoughts?

It's possible that the carbonation affected the reading? Did you adjust for temperature?

At any rate, the keg will not be affected by the extra pressure and as long as it's a beer that doesn't need to be clear (if the beer isn't clear yet) then there is no problem.

Even so, if you wait a bit to drink you can just pull a pint or two at the start and get rid of the sediment that way.

And FYI, a lot of people prime their kegs with sugar instead of carbing with gas. Just make sure to adjust for the headspace difference. The amount of sugar is different than for 5 gallons of bottled beer.

Thanks! Interesting about the sugar for keg being different for bottles. I will look into that if I ever decide to do that.
When I did hydrometer reading the temp was around 68 degrees. You're right the CO2 could have messed up the reading. I just figured since it was carbonated it was a good indicator that it wasn't quite done. I have no problem waiting another week before I cold crash it and put it on gas. Thanks for letting me know there will be no issues and I will pull a couple pints off before serving to others.

Back