Kegging at Room Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benighted

Reaction score
Hi all, my IPA has been in the fermenter for around 3 weeks now and I am ready to get it carbonated. I don't feel like going through the trouble and wait of bottling so I was looking to buy a kegging system from a gentlemen on craigslist (2 corny kegs, co2 tank and regulator for $150). The only problem is that I don't have a fridge to store my homebrew. Would it be alright to carbonate at room temp (68f) and cool it down in an ice bath when I'm about to serve?

How many gallons are the corny kegs? If they are small, 1 gallon it won't take long to cool down to drink. If it's 5 gallons then I'm not sure it makes sense without a fridge or a way to keep it cold all the time.

You can carbonate at room temperature, you'll just need to increase the pressure during carbonation.

While I'd normally post a link to Our Favorite Carbonation Table the temperature range doesn't cover what some folks consider "Room Temperature".

So, instead, use this carbonation calculator. It even has a handy listing of carbonation ranges per beer style in Volumes of CO2 to give helpful hints, but for most beers, use 2.4 to 2.5, along with your temperature, to cough out the recommended CO2 pressure.

For 68°F and 2.5 volumes the recommended level is almost 28 psi.

Ok, two weeks later (barring any "burst carb" treatment) you have a rather warm keg of perfectly carbonated beer.
Now what?

Cheers!

Back