Kegging and Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
As some of you already know I am about to take the leap into kegging and want some opinions on my plan. I have a kegerator that holds 2 kegs; I have nowhere to store additional kegs any colder than room temp (65-70 in my apartment).

With that constraint I am thinking it might be best to carb with priming sugar, hit it with some co2 to seal and purge, age at room temp for 3-4 weeks, then move to kegerator and put it under serving pressure, wait a few days, and drink away. I plan on having 2 kegs in the kegerator and at least 2 kegs aging at all times.

Anyone have any thoughts on this plan?

Looks like a sound plan to me. You will have more sediment than you would have had if you used your co2 tank for carbing, but many people do it the way you are decribing. As for me, I just transfer from the secondary to the keg I just kicked and cleaned, and let it sit for a week at serving pressure(ok, I usually don't make it a week before trying it). For that time, I only have one choice of beer, but that's ok with me.

You could also get another 5lb CO2 tank and force carbonate at room temperature. 30 psi at 70˚F will give you about 2.5 volumes of CO2. Then just chill it when ready.

or buy another 2 keg fridge. <200 $$ than 4 on tap.
cool! :rockin:

johnsma22 said:
You could also get another 5lb CO2 tank and force carbonate at room temperature. 30 psi at 70&#730;F will give you about 2.5 volumes of CO2. Then just chill it when ready.
30psi at 70F....how long do you leave it at this pressure before chilling and drinking?

It will take just as long as the patient method of setting it and forgetting it in the fridge, well maybe a little longer than that, say 7-10 days. Then chill it for 24-48 hours, purge the keg so that keg pressure is not greater than regulator output pressure, and put it back on the gas at your desired serving pressure.

If I am understanding everything correctly, it sounds like a week under serving pressure and temps is enough to carbonate the "patient" way? If that is the case, couldn't I hit the kegs I plan to age with a little co2 to purge and seal, let them age at room temp, and then just carb when I move them to the kegerator?

I think I'll be okay with only 1 beer option if it's just for a week, I thought it took longer.

TheJadedDog said:
If I am understanding everything correctly, it sounds like a week under serving pressure and temps is enough to carbonate the "patient" way? If that is the case, couldn't I hit the kegs I plan to age with a little co2 to purge and seal, let them age at room temp, and then just carb when I move them to the kegerator?

I think I'll be okay with only 1 beer option if it's just for a week, I thought it took longer.

The answer to your question is yes. No problem just hitting the kegs with 30psi to purge and seal them and then just letting them age at room temperature until you are ready to chill, carbonate and serve.

All of my kegged batches were carbonated anywhere between 5-7 days, at serving pressure.

Latest posts

Back