Keggin' finally!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Netflyer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Question: I'm done fermenting at 65 degrees and I want to use the same fridge to carbonate. I'm looking for 2.4 vols. So, my questions are:

1. For blonde ale what was the best temp to carb at.

2. Can I start to carb as the fridge/corny keg's temp is dropping to my carbing temp? Or do I wait until I am at the carbing temp, say 45F and THEN turn on the gas or does it not make a difference?

3. If 45 is the best answer to #1 do I leave the keg at 45 for a few weeks and serve at that temp? (I don't have to raise the temp again since I primaried for 21 days already right? Or do I?) I guess I"m asking if it will age ok at carb. temp or does it need to raise to age more?

Thanks!

:mug:

1. You can carb at your preferred serving temp.
2. You can turn up the gas before it reaches target temp. Doesn't really matter except that the CO2 isn't absorbed as easily into the liquid at warmer temps.
3. You can age it at cold temperatures. There are also different ways to carb. Some people set the temp for serving and set the gas at 10-12 psi for a couple weeks. Others, including myself, set the pressure at 30 psi for 2-3 days and then back the pressure down to serving levels (8-10). The second method will get carbonated beer in your glass much faster. People will argue that the second method can lead to overcarbonating but if you monitor it and don't let it go past 3 days it will be fine.

Another thing to consider is that you can cold crash in your fermenter before you transfer to the keg. This will make the beer settle out and will increase clarity. It also has the advantage of leaving less gunk in the bottom of the keg. If you do this, keep in mind that a slight vacuum will be created inside the fermenter and can potentially suck up your airlock/blowoff liquid. I remove the airlock and replace with sanitized tin foil at this stage to avoid sucking up airlock water.

Thanks Jon!

Er, I use Vodka in my airlock... I thought everybody did ? But, I like the idea of the cold crash... so I'm sitting at 65, drop the fridge to 45, wait how long? Then transfer? This way I won't lose sleep about the carb. temp as the temp decreases if I do it now at 65 and cool the system down as it carbs... I was pretty sure it didn't matter but it is one of those 'loss sleep' things for me, I'm just too OC but workin' on it...

One of the advantages of kegging is you can effectively cold crash and cold condition in the keg which results in nice, clear beer. When you bottle you have to take the extra cold crash time before hand for similar results.

Thanks Jon!

Er, I use Vodka in my airlock... I thought everybody did ? But, I like the idea of the cold crash... so I'm sitting at 65, drop the fridge to 45, wait how long? Then transfer? This way I won't lose sleep about the carb. temp as the temp decreases if I do it now at 65 and cool the system down as it carbs... I was pretty sure it didn't matter but it is one of those 'loss sleep' things for me, I'm just too OC but workin' on it...

Sorry for the delayed response, I'm still getting used to this new format. I drop straight down to 34F or so and let it sit for 3 days. Then I transfer to keg. The closer you can get to freezing the more stuff will drop out. Keep in mind that if you transfer the beer to keg when it's already cold it will carb up faster.

I've got 8 batches under my belt now and have kegged the last 7. When I'm done fermenting my brew I transfer it to a keg crank the gas to 30 psi and throw it in the fridge at 42-45 and if i feel like it I'll give it a little shake/swirl every once in a while to get some more CO2 in there and I'll try a sample at 24 hours and see how it's carbing. (Be sure to turn down the psi and vent before you open the tap or 30 psi beer while fly out of there) If I feel like it's carbed enough I'll dial it to around 10 psi (my serving pressure) and leave it there. If I think it needs a little more I might dial it to 20 psi for another half day or day. You'll get a good feel for your set up. The beauty of it all is that if your beer is under-carbed, turn up the psi and wait. If it's over carbed, leave it 5 psi or so for a day. Enjoy draft beer at your house!

Here is what I do-

1-Unless I dry hop,lager, or it is a high OG beer I skip secondary.
2-Rack beer into keg and chill
3-About 24 hours later I add gelatin mix and put 30 psi CO2 on it, constant supply at 30psi.
4-3 days later bleed pressure down to 10-12 psi, which is serving pressure.
5-Pour about a glass or so of mud and pour it down the drain.
6-enjoy crystal clear beer.

You can put your CO2 into the out side post to carb faster with pretty consistent results. Just be sure to relieve pressure on keg before disconnecting and swapping posts.

Beer carbonates much more rapidly the colder it gets. Carbing a keg at room temp is plain disappointing after 7 days. Dont sweat the volume of CO2. Just follow my steps and adjust as necessary. You can put 10 psi on a cold keg and it will be carbed in a about a week. Even after you drop to serving pressure it will continue to carb a bit if it is under carbed. Dont over complicate it, it is really a simple process.

After reading Bobby_M's carbing sticky I decided to go for the set and forget method. I have enough beer in bottles to keep me going ;p, in the mean time it has been about one week at 14 psi, the psi at 45 degrees to give me 2.4 ... I had to pour a glass yesterday to make sure everything was comin' along like it should and it was doing just that... Tasted great, it's Beirmucher's blonde ale which is not a heavy grain bill so it doesn't need a ton of time, its been 3 weeks in the fermenter at 65 and now a week in the keg at 45 and it tastes friggin' amazing. It's, as Bobby's chart shows, not carb'd up yet, needs another week of 'forgetting' although considering PV=nRT if I keep pullin' out V I'll have to lower the Psi or I'll over carb ;p I totally appreciate the blast carbin' fast method but don't mind the slow method for more predictable results.

Back