Keggerator Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dilligaf76

Reaction score
Have a Magic Chef dorm fridge that I keep my keg and cobra tap in. I've had it in the garage over the summer and use it to cold crash in as well. It never seemed to get cold enough for beer but I have a 5 gallon better bottle with an IPA and a stick on thermometer. The beer has been in there since Sunday and is still hovering around 56*. Kinda sucks. It doesn't run a lot so I'm wondering if there's a temperature regulator in there that may be out of wack. If I could take it apart and hack/fix it it'd be swell. I do kinda want a full size fridge sink can have more than one keg but don't think SWMBO will go for that.
Any help is appreciated.

The irony of that is I saw a philco fridge on CL for $300. She doesn't care about appearance so much as the funds. It looks like $150 is the norm for the basic freezer on top fridge on CL. If I started keeping my co2 and corny keg in the kitchen fridge she might warm up a bit.

Look for a DIY thread on adjusting the analog temp regulator to allow lower (or higher) temp range. Another, better option would be to wire in one of the ebay aquarium temp controllers in place of the analog dial. They are about $20.

You're fermenting an IPA at 56? Isn't that a little low? I'm still a noob, so this is more of a question for my own edification.

Keep looking on CL. It's not rare for a working fridge/freezer to show up for free or very very cheap.

Also, if you're willing/able to take on the SWMBO for $150 for a used one, you might as well go the extra weekend on the couch without any pink taco and get a brand new chest freezer for around $180. The used ones on CL do not come with warranties.

jCOSbrew: that's kinda what I was looking for.

WooHokie: I'm cold crashing my IPA to help clarify it a bit before I keg. It's had three weeks in the primary.

Keep looking on CL. It's not rare for a working fridge/freezer to show up for free or very very cheap.

Also, if you're willing/able to take on the SWMBO for $150 for a used one, you might as well go the extra weekend on the couch without any pink taco and get a brand new chest freezer for around $180. The used ones on CL do not come with warranties.

While its true that used fridges generally don't come with warranties, you will void the warranty on a new one if you cut anything on it. But a new one will be more energy efficient, as well as having a likely longer life than a used one of indeterminate age off of CL.

I'm wondering if there's a temperature regulator in there that may be out of wack
there is a thermal bulb that attaches to the bottom of the freezer if my memory is correct. If you follow that tube it will lead you to the thermostat. On the thermostat it will have a coarse adjustment screw. somewhere just turn it till you hear the compressor start and check the temp. If the tube leads to the thing with the knob the screw is usually in the knob shaft. if turning the screw 1/2 turn in ether direction doesn't start the compressor the thermostat is bad, shop around you can get then for $15

Back