Kegged beers SUPER bitter, bottled is fine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockyTop11

Reaction score
Alright guys, random beer ?... I have now kegged 2 beers and 1 bottled since I started brewing. Bottled tasted great. Kegs are both SUPER bitter.. almost soapy tasting. 1st keg tried to force carbonate and let sit for 3 days, worst, other keg set at 10.5 and let sit in fridge for 2 weeks after keeping at 1 week at room temp thinking it was an age thing. Still bitter, not as bad though. Is it an age thing or do you think I didn't clean the kegs when i first got them good enough? Worst is the red beaver extract phat tyre, and most recent keg is the red beaver witbier. Bottled was the the red beaver oktoberfest. All are extract brews.
2 used ball locks from rebel and 2 used from midwest. Originally took kegs completely apart and cleaned in hot pbw for about 15-20 min a piece then rinsed with hot water well, let drip dry for a few days then sanitized with star san well before using. Im Stumped.
Fat Tire was in primary for 4 weeks And other 2 beers have been primary for 2 weeks and 2ndary for 2 weeks so far... FG Hydro samples didn't taste anything like they do in the keg!
Could it be co2???

First keg has now been sitting on 10.5 recommend co2 for a month "aging" in fridge btw, tapped tonight again and still very cloudy and just as bitter tasting. Probably pulled a gallon out already over the month thinking it was maybe bad sediment on bottom...

Back