Kegerator Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McBrewski

Reaction score
I was looking to make the conversion from bottles to kegs finally, and I wanted to ask your guys' input on the subject. Is buying a kegerator that can fit two sixth kegs a good move? It definitely seems like the simplest, for I think that I would probably screw something up if I tried to build my own. Any good models or brands that are reliable and relatively cheap when compared to others? If I purchase a kegerator, will there still be a great deal of other parts I will have to buy in order for it to work properly?

Also, is it okay to use kegs for storage as well, or should I only rack beer from the fermenter to the keg if it's ready to be carbonated?

Thanks guys.

I was looking to make the conversion from bottles to kegs finally, and I wanted to ask your guys' input on the subject. Is buying a kegerator that can fit two sixth kegs a good move? It definitely seems like the simplest, for I think that I would probably screw something up if I tried to build my own. Any good models or brands that are reliable and relatively cheap when compared to others? If I purchase a kegerator, will there still be a great deal of other parts I will have to buy in order for it to work properly?

Also, is it okay to use kegs for storage as well, or should I only rack beer from the fermenter to the keg if it's ready to be carbonated?

Thanks guys.

A kegerator with two taps is good if you go through quite a bit of beer. You can always keep extra kegs around if you brew more than your consuming.

I built my kegerator so I can't say much about brands or buying one.

You can rack the beer to the keg as long as it is finished fermenting. As long as you purge the head space with CO2 you can use them as storage. You can also force carb and store them.

I purchased a danby from costco earlier this year and it has worked well for me and can fit 3 cornies, a three regulator manifold, and a 5lb CO2 tank inside. Converting it to a three keg setup wasn't cheap though. Going with Perlick's, stainless tower, etc with all of the other parts was almost as much as the kegerator itself. You could purchase one of the all included conversion kits from an online retailer for cheaper though.

Back