Kegerator setup question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rottnme

Reaction score
I am currently about 3/4th through a build and have run into some indecision as how to best setup my kegerator and I would like some opinions.

The build is to convert a used and obtained for free refrigeratror that once had an ice/water supply through the original door. The conversion plan is to set everything up for 2 active lines, layout for a third line in the near future, and leave enough space for expansion to a fourth that would sort of be the limited edition beer snob only line supplied by picnic tap only but at that point I would install a second regulator for better or different pressure control.

I've been toying with the idea of mounting the reulator(s), and distribution inside the kegerator with line only to the tank on the exterior however I have not been able to find any example of anyone else who has done this.

My question is this, what are everyones thoughts of separating the tank and regulator (tank outside fridge, regulators inside), and why?

...and yes, I'm planning on posting pics when she's done.

Having the tank outside and running to a manifold distribution on the inside is very common. You will see many examples of this in the "Show us your Kegerator" thread. This thread will also give you alot of very good ideas.

Here is the inside of mine. I have the CO2 inside, but there is no reason why it cant go outside and if I am strapped for space and want to squeeze in an extra keg I just run it out the side.

KeezerHome3.JPG

As far as expansion, this setup works great also. This picture was when it was first built. I now have 4 secondary regulators and I have even "T'd" some of the original regulators. You can keep adding secondary regulators in line with no issues.

Thanks MNB but what I can't seem to find is a pic where a line only is run from the tank into the fridge without reducing the line pressure at the tank with a regulator. All the pics I find tend to have a regulator at the tank, similar to your pic, leading to either a splitter or secondary regulator inside.

Would there be any problems if I were to do it that way? Basically I'm trying to save a few bucks right now by not having to buy another regulator yet.

You dont need a secondary regulator inside the fridge. But you do need one on the tank. You can run your gas line from your the regulator into your beer fridge and the split it to you tanks, however many you have. If you just have two, you can put in a "Y" splitter, if you have more, use a manifold, it is much easier. You will also want check valves so your beer doesnt back up into your regulator.

Here are some cheaper options...

8136.jpg

3/16" Stainless Steel Barbed "T" :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

4578.jpg

3 Way CO2 Distributor, 1/4" :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

Rottnme, There are setups with the primary regulator inside with just a hose to the tank, but it does cost a lot more. For this you need to have a high pressure hose adapter ($70) to the primary regulator. I have found these setups online, I just don't remember where.

But it is far easier just to put the regulator on the tank, and run the hose from there into the fridge to a manifold for distribution.

Good Luck

Thanks all.

I've pretty much decided to go the easy route for now and keep everything inside but I'll probably look into options when its time to upgrade.

Now if I could only get my metal guy to finish that backsplash....

Back