Kegerator pouring lots of foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daveed1025

Reaction score
I have a “new” kegerator that I got a few weeks ago from a yard sale site. I replaced the beer line (with a 10 foot line), the C02 tank and the crappy C02 regulator it came with. Got a keg of Fat Tire tonight and let it sit in the kegerator for about an hour after I got home. Connected the lines to the keg, turned on the pressure (it read about 5 psi) and went to pour. The first glass came out with 90% foam. No biggie. I figured that would happen with the first pour. Threw out the first pour and did another one. Same result. Adjusted the psi up and down a few times and got the same result. Temp seems alright. Not super cold but serviceable. Any ideas on how I can get a better pour?

Try again tomorrow. Not cold and unsettled could be the sole issue.

If it's still pouring foamy after sitting cold for 24 hrs, then you can go from there.

Foaming should never be fixed by pressure adjustment. That's not actually solving the problem. Too much pressure, overcarbonation, foamy pour. Too little pressure, CO2 breakout in the line, flat beer, foamy pour.

Depending on how often you drink, your pressure will always be either the equilibrium pressure for your temp and carbonation level (ex. 38F and a typical 2.5 vols, typical for bar service, would be about 11.25 PSI) if you only pour periodically (say a pint or two a night home), or slightly above it if you're pouring continuously (like say, a bar could bump that to 13 psi). In the former CO2 can reestablish equilibrium between drinks, the latter the extra pressure makes up for the contanst pressure loss with frequent pouring. Extra pressure without lots of pouring would result in eventual overcarb.

To that end, if you're at the right pressure for your temp and carbonation, with a stable keg at equilibrium, the problem is almost always the beer line. It's not just length but line diameter and material.

Basically you need your line to provide enough back pressure to keep CO2 in solution while keeping a slow enough pour to not foam.

In your case, your pressure may be too low, or your lines too wide. 10ft could also be on the short side.

Could also be a system leak.

Latest posts

Back