Kegerator line and ball valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodie

Reaction score
Hoping for some advice on my keezer build. I am putting the freezer in the basement and mounting the taps upstairs in the kitchen. Already read a ton on this and think I am going to circulate glycol with a pond pump to keep the lines cool. According to everything I read I will need to step up to 1/4 inch lines to overcome the 10ft rise I have. Sold on using bev seal ultra and John guest fittings. To protect the system from unauthorized use I am going to add a motorized ball valve into the line so I can lock it down. Now my questions

What is a good source for 1/4 inch Bev seal? Can't seem to find anything but 3/16.
With the lower resistance of Bev seal so I really need to go up to 1/4?
Seems like I need about 25 feet of line to balance a 10 ft rise at 12psi. Seem right?
Will it cause a problem with the beer in the line if I put the ball valve close to the kegerator or do I need to keep it near the faucet?

Thanks, any advice is appreciated

What is the minimum actual length required to make the trip? (not banjo string tight, but without excess slop laying about).

If you were using conventional solid PVC (eg: the virtually generic Bevlex 200) at 1/4" ID that 25' figure looks reasonable; with the same 10' lift 3/16" ID tubing would run out of steam beyond 7' so that's clearly not an option :) Even if you apply a 150% length rule to the Bev Seal Ultra 235 line that'd still only get you to a bit past 10'.

So 1/4" it is.

It would be interesting to see if 1/4" ID Ultra 235 is actually a true 1/4" ID. The primary reason their "3/16" ID" line needs extra length vs PVC is it's actually 1/5" ID; the presumably smoother PET liner is a secondary factor. Given the price it'd be a ***** if you needed to coil up many feet of it just to tame a dispensing system. If the math looks ugly you might consider a choker as it could substantially cut back on the main line length requirement.

If you want to give the Ultra 235 a try take a look at this https://foxxequipment.com/homebrew for stores that have accounts with Foxx (I don't think they do direct retail). Might help...

No idea about the valve location, but fwiw I have flow meters on my lines and having them right at the keg proved best...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Will it cause a problem with the beer in the line if I put the ball valve close to the kegerator or do I need to keep it near the faucet?

The biggest problem IMHO will be with sanitation. Ball valves are unsanitary and cannot be cleaned properly without disassembling them completely every time.

Putting the valve close to the kegerator runs the risk of having an empty line if a tap were not to seal properly. Pressure in the line will push most of the beer out and the remaining beer would turn into foam.

Thanks for the replies... Seems like I have to do the 1/4 as my total footage for the run is about 14/15 feet. If I use the choker line that should go on the inside of the freezer in a coil, not at the tap end correct?

Off to work but I will check out that link here in a bit. If anyone else knows a good source for 1/4 bev seal it would be appreciated.

Thanks for the replies... Seems like I have to do the 1/4 as my total footage for the run is about 14/15 feet. If I use the choker line that should go on the inside of the freezer in a coil, not at the tap end correct?

Off to work but I will check out that link here in a bit. If anyone else knows a good source for 1/4 bev seal it would be appreciated.

Chicompany is probably your best.

https://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=375_86_87&products_id=2422

I use Eaton brand 1/4. I will warn you, my 27 ft hold about a beer. After a week or two of sitting in the line, you will start to see oxidation.

After a week or two of sitting in the line, you will start to see oxidation

I assumed the stuff in the line would not last forever but putting the freezer in the basement is the only "Wife Approved" design I have come up with. Guess it just means I have to have a beer every night. :)

Thanks for the links. Looks like Chi Company has everything. Thinking I will get 18ft of 1/4 inch (should be plenty of extra) and then add 3/16th choker to slow it down. Guessing there is no reasonable math I can use to estimate the length of the choker in that situation? Trial and error I suppose.

Maybe someone doing something similar with Bev-Seal can give me an idea how long the choker lines are?

I added a smaller choker line at my tower, as my draft lines were 3/16 or smaller stainless and in had to step down the 1/4.

I would think adding then at the keg is better and you can start with 8 or so feet and cut down as needed.

I have been running my long draw system for 6 years, happy to answer any other questions.

Back