Kegerator conversion question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosnhojm20

Reaction score
If all the refrigeration coils are outside the fridge, do I need to worry about hitting a line in the walls? I need to mount my regulator and manifolds for the co2... Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Simple answer is yes. The evaporation coils on the outside are intentionally placed on the outside to remove heat. However, the cooling coils actually run inside the freezer (and sometimes fridge if you have a dual compressor system). For example, if you're talking small dorm-size fridge then usually the coils are embedded in the metal enclosure that comprises the little freezer compartment. These coils are connected to the compressor - so, yes, they may run through the fridge side walls.

Hope this helps.
P

It does. This is a stand up top freezer fridge. How do I know if I have a dual compressor system? I know that the back of the freezer has multiple vents that bring the cold air in, and then have a smaller vent for the fridge.

I'll post photos soon. I'm eager to get my kegs out of the keezer and into the fridge so that I can control my ferm temps and get lagering action going, too.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399743309.947128.jpg

That looks exactly like my fridge.
I started with a small hole on the inside, and poked around the foam for coils, them cut a 1" hole in the interior plastic, scraped the foam circle, then drilled the metal wall.

As you can tell I was pretty paranoid about hitting a coil, and this seems to be the safest way.

I just posted a project I have been working on and now read your thread. I have some pics of the fridge that I dismantled YFI. You need to be careful not to damage the lines or you will lose the gas, and that would be the end of the fridge.

Peeling the outside metal casing off will reveal all the evaporation lines, but they are actually stuck to the inside of the casing with tape, so you need to cut them free as you peel back. Starting from the outside makes it easier and safer to access them, as well as the cooling lines that are buried inside the foam, since you can basically see where they start. Carefully take out small sections of foam from the sides of the lines. You will probably need to carefully prise the lines off the inner wall once you get the foam away from the sides.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/kegerator-cupboard-conversion-completed-almost-474626/

Back