Kegerator compressor trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phrank

Reaction score
Hi, I've got a Danby DCK645BLS kegerator that I'm fairly confident had the compressor go out. Plug it in for about 20 seconds, and the compressor makes odd noises as it cranks up, and then the kegerator errors out with an alarm. A lot of Google searching indicates parts for that kegerator are no longer made, so I'm just wondering if anyone here knows where I might be able to get replacement parts for that? Or can I use another compressor? Thanks.

Frank

That's really sad. Possibly a seized or worn compressor as you already diagnosed. Had it been sitting idle for a long time?

Generally replacement parts exceed replacement cost, not counting labor or buying specialized equipment, like a vacuum pump, brazing torch, etc. unless you "know" someone.

The beer dispensing parts may be reused on a new regular fridge plugged into a temp controller.

if you can get to the compressor easily when you plug kegerator try hitting the compressor.

If it was seized up you may get it to start.
Done this a couple of times at work when a refrigeration unit has failed, and got them back running for months.

Or if you have a multi meter, amp it out, if its pulling more amps than what is stated on unit, then your compressor is shot.
Clamp the meter onto the the power cord hot/ usually black wire near the compressor, get someone to plug it in and check the reading, if its way higher than stated amp draw, new compressor/fridge needed

Thank you for the replies and advice. It's shot, and replacement parts are no longer available for my kegerator. That's unfortunate and depressing. But, on to bigger and better things. Bought a chest freezer and temperature controller to build a keezer. Thanks.

Back