Kegerator compressor cycling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diannotti

Reaction score
So I read about a dozen threads on compressor cycling but none that I found answered what a "good" or normal cycle should be, just to avoid short cycyling. So here is my question / scenario:

DAR44BL converted to kegerator, Ranco etc controller set to 42 with 3 degree variance.
I just started to closely observe my kegerator and here is how it is "cycling"
7:10 am Compressor kicks on at 45
11:04 am Compressor turns off at 42
12:58 pm - it's currently at 43
* I changed Ranco to a 2 degree variance and it hit 44 at
1:02PM and compressor is on again
2:04 PM Compressor off
3:27 PM 44 degrees Compressor on
4:34 PM Compressor of at 42

*Changing to 2 degrees seemed to lower the running time from 4 hours to 1hr. My "off" time decreased from just under 2 hours to right about 1 hour 15.

Anyone have any input? How long is too long for the compressor to run? How short is too short for the compressor to have to come back on?

as long as its not kicking on more than a few times per hour i would say that is fine. if you think about it- an air conditioner is the same thing and they cycle on and off every 10-30 minutes. as long as its not 5min on / 5 min off all the time, i wouldnt worry about it.

there isnt a set "too long" number, but a few hours is probably a good estimate. as long as the compressor isnt overheating (you want good ventilation on the condensor coil). my glycol chiller sometimes runs for 8 hours at a time, and its still alive and kickin'.

Back