Kegco Stainless CFC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_flyer

Reaction score
Is anyone using Kegco’s stainless CFC? There are a couple reviews on Amazon, I am wondering if anyone has any more. I am looking to switch switch from a SS immersion chiller to a SS counterflow. I am debating between the Kegco, holding out for the Stout or spending the time to make my own.

I was just wondering the same thing last night. I searched around but only found the same two reviews ( on Amazon).

I haven’t seen many stainless options for years. Didn’t even know kegco offered one.

They sell pretty quickly when you can find them used.

I have the old Williams brewing one, looks identical. I upgraded to it from a copper version. Copper was faster and more efficient, but I wanted to remove copper from my brewing. With my system and filtering I use, the difference in efficiency was barely noticeable.

I have the old Williams brewing one, looks identical. I upgraded to it from a copper version. Copper was faster and more efficient, but I wanted to remove copper from my brewing. With my system and filtering I use, the difference in efficiency was barely noticeable.

Thanks. Glad to hear you still have good efficiency. My only “concern” was the short length of the tube. I have also removed copper.

I typically re circ to knock out the initial heat, after that you can get pretty good flow into the fermenter

I would wait for the stout one. Its only a coupple dollars more for twice the size. I bought a similar one but copper a few years ago it works good but I wasn't happy with the chill times. I recently bought a stainless one like the kegco one and am really happy running threw both of them now. If I would of known about the stout chiller before I bought my kegco clone I would of defentally waited, you get an extra 18 feet, well more than doubble the contact area, of coil for only $30 more. Ill sell you my kegco one it has 1/2" npt on all the outlets.

I would wait for the stout one. Its only a coupple dollars more for twice the size. I bought a similar one but copper a few years ago it works good but I wasn't happy with the chill times. I recently bought a stainless one like the kegco one and am really happy running threw both of them now. If I would of known about the stout chiller before I bought my kegco clone I would of defentally waited, you get an extra 18 feet, well more than doubble the contact area, of coil for only $30 more. Ill sell you my kegco one it has 1/2" npt on all the outlets.
the stout one has been in production, They are just selling out as fast as they get thier stock from china due to the recent lodo trend. I imagine in another month or so we will see our options grow for stainless chillers as the market reacts to what the consumers want. I watching closely for sanitary stainless option that can be used or combined for use with a 3bbl setup myself..

I purchased a Kegco CFC late 2017. I have only used it 4 times. Happy with it so far. I do 12 gallon batches. Takes about 25 minutes to go from boiling to 66 degrees with 62 degree water. My method is to recirculate to kettle while chilling, then change flow to fermenter. During the summer months I expect to chill with tap water until about 100 degrees, then drop an IC in an ice bath. I think I would go with the Stout for the extra length. I also like that the Stout has TC.

My Kegco CFC might end up on sale this summer!

the stout one has been in production, They are just selling out as fast as they get thier stock from china due to the recent lodo trend. I imagine in another month or so we will see our options grow for stainless chillers as the market reacts to what the consumers want. I watching closely for sanitary stainless option that can be used or combined for use with a 3bbl setup myself..

Ya I think I remember seeing them last year but totally forgot about them when I was ordering a new one. Seeing these threads jogged my memory too bad Aliexpress isn't like Amazon with free returns.

I would think if you run 3 of the stout ones you should be able to pump at a good rate. I can run my chugger at 3/4% with my two kegco type supping fresh cold water to each and get into the 60s with our ground water this time of year, think it was mid 40s only gets to mid 50s in summer. So with double the area on the stout you should be all right with a few supplying fresh cold water to each one. Unless you want to future proof, every time i go by the NYBP its packed. Even Woodcocks seams really busy when I head up that way.

Ya I think I remember seeing them last year but totally forgot about them when I was ordering a new one. Seeing these threads jogged my memory too bad Aliexpress isn't like Amazon with free returns.

I would think if you run 3 of the stout ones you should be able to pump at a good rate. I can run my chugger at 3/4% with my two kegco type supping fresh cold water to each and get into the 60s with our ground water this time of year, think it was mid 40s only gets to mid 50s in summer. So with double the area on the stout you should be all right with a few supplying fresh cold water to each one. Unless you want to future proof, every time i go by the NYBP its packed. Even Woodcocks seams really busy when I head up that way.
Thanks, This is good info. I've only got experience with my plate chiller and since I wont be using a hop spider I think a duda plate chiller may equal problems unless I find a better way to filter or separate the hops.

Those breweries all distribute too, We are tiny by comparision and have no aspirations to distribute. At least any time soon. plus our space is tiny by comparison with space for only 50 people.

For the brewers who have the Kegco CFCs - did you attach fittings to the wort inlet/outlet? I just bought one of these chillers and neither compression fitting (1/2" or 5/8") will fit. I started a separate thread about this hoping to get some suggestions - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/kegco-stainless-cfc-fittings.649484/

I wish I could help but I bought mine off aliexpress and I made sure it was one with 1/2" fittings on all ports for camlocks. I would use the fitting that is tightest and silver solder it on if I were you.

I had some help in the thread I linked - found out I just need 15mm compression to 1/2 NPT so I'm all set now

Back