Kegco mill question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also why is the barley crusher 1.5x more than the cereal killer.

there was a post a week ago or so about this mill. Someone did a nice review and it convinced me to buy it. Its a great deal! by far the cheapest!

some people hate kegco though. their stuff can be poor quality (or so i have heard) but the 2 or 3 people who bought this were happy!

After 12+ years of all grain brewing with a Barley Crusher and getting the perfect crush/efficiency, I have to ask:

Why do you feel you need a three roller mill?

If $30 makes a difference, I'd say wait and get something with a track record. Save your pennies.

OR, buy this one and report back to us in 12 years...

:drunk:

After 12+ years of all grain brewing with a Barley Crusher and getting the perfect crush/efficiency, I have to ask:

If $30 makes a difference, I'd say wait and get something with a track record. Save your pennies.

After 3+ years of all grain grain brewing with a $20 Corona knock off and getting consistent crush/efficiency, I have to ask:

Why do you feel the need for a Barley Crusher 2 roller mill?

If $100 makes a difference, Id say wait and get something that might be an upgrade over what you have. Maybe even skipping a middle of the road 2 roller mill for a 3 roller mill for $30 (amortized over many years) and probably better end results.

Of course YMMV!!!!! ;)

I know someone with a barley crusher and it works good but not great. 30 dollars does make a difference, that's about the cost of a brew day. As far as 3 roller mills go I have always heard that they give a better crush. Gash slug has the malt muncher equivalent to the kegco mill and loves it.

How do you brew with a corona mill is it biab? Cuz I have always heard they pulverize the malt to much for all grain and get stuck sparge

I know someone with a barley crusher and it works good but not great. 30 dollars does make a difference, that's about the cost of a brew day. As far as 3 roller mills go I have always heard that they give a better crush. Gash slug has the malt muncher equivalent to the kegco mill and loves it.

MY barley crusher works great. But then, it's one of the earlier ones. I can't comment on what they are making nowadays.

If you are getting 86% efficiency with an old shoe and you like using it, then bravo; keep it up. When I bought my BC, it was a SMALL portion of my total setup cost and I felt it worthwhile (still do). The fact that it is still working the same as the day I bought it, I'd say that's value.

I really wasn't trying to disparage you. Just trying to make sure you are barking up the right tree.

;)

After 3+ years of all grain grain brewing with a $20 Corona knock off and getting consistent crush/efficiency, I have to ask:

Why do you feel the need for a Barley Crusher 2 roller mill?

If $100 makes a difference, Id say wait and get something that might be an upgrade over what you have. Maybe even skipping a middle of the road 2 roller mill for a 3 roller mill for $30 (amortized over many years) and probably better end results.

Of course YMMV!!!!! ;)

I like your snarky tone. I'll put a bookmark in you and see if you come up with anything wittier in the future.

:mug:

How do you brew with a corona mill is it biab? Cuz I have always heard they pulverize the malt to much for all grain and get stuck sparge

I do BIAB sometimes. It does shred the husks some but has not been any problem. My system works very well, water heater braid in a cooler mashtun. I have even double crushed quite a few times. I don't find any evidence of extracting tannins from the husks either.

There are a lot of brewers that have used Corona style mills exclusively.
Some are top level home brewers.

I currently have a false bottom in a keggle which I don't believe would work as well with the fine particles

Latest posts

Back