2 or 3 Roller Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve-Ooo

Reaction score
It's time for a new mill. I have a 2 roller Valley Mill with nylon bushings and its been a major pita to get any kind of crush and is well past its prime. (Bought used on Craigslist.)
I was eyeing up this. https://www.beveragefactory.com/homebrew/pre-fermentation-equipment/kegco-km11gm-3r-grain-mill.html
With a 30% off discount it comes to $164 delivered. I'm leaning towards the 3 rollers as I biab and go for a very fine crush and hopefully could get it in 1 pass with this.
My question is, is the 3 rollers worth it over 2 rollers. Also does anyone have experience with this mill?
Thanks in advance.

I've had that mill for about 3 years. I've never had a single issue with it, it still works like new.

I grind at .025", in one pass.

Thanks I'll probably pull the trigger on that today. It seems like a good deal and I haven't seen any bad reviews on it.

not sure about that mill but probably works same way as the MM3. Good mill but one issue to understand before going with 3 roller over 2 roller is you can't see or measure the gap on a 3 roller mill without removing the hopper. I think if I'd understood this I probably would of bought the MM2 Pro instead of the MM3 when I upgraded from my old 2 roller Barley Crusher.

I've read that about the 3 rollers. I was hoping I could dial in my crush and not have to adjust once it is set. Kegco's 2 roller is not much cheaper and if I could get I fine grind in 1 pass instead of a double crush each time, it'd be worth it.
I looked at the Monster Mills, but am much happier with the price point on the Kegco.
Thanks for the input though.

Eric is correct, a 2 roller is going to be easier to adjust. Additionally, a two roller will crush your grains just fine in one pass, lots of people do it. You don't have to have a 3 roller to accomplish that. If you are expecting to be changing up your mill settings, then a two roller would be a sound decision.

For me (and my 3 roller), I set it once when I got it and haven't changed it since. The easier adjustment of a 2 roller would not have been any benefit to me.

FWIW, many owners of 3 roller mills, including myself, have made various settings/markings on the outside of their mill by the adjustment knobs/bolts that allow them to easily adjust the mill without removing the hopper. Obviously, you must make these gap markings prior to assembly of the hopper....

I am using a 3roller kegco to mill all the grain for the 3bbl system at my Brewpub it gets used everyweek since December and has performed flawlessly with thousands of lbs of grain though it now. I have it motorized and on a harbor freight cart. As mentioned in the other thread I has also has the 2 roller version of this mill sold as the cereal killer for my home brewing for 6 years. It is also motorized and works without any issues. I actually have our 3 roller opened up as far as it will go because we had flow issues with the rims and even with doing that , we still average 85% efficiency

I made my decision to go with the 3 roller version of this.

Glad to here it holds up that well in a commercial brewery. Sounds like it's well worth the $160.

I've been getting ~70% efficiency with 2-3 passes through my old mill so my first batch with the new one will be interesting.

Back