Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woods2014

Reaction score
First time to keg beer and I put the co2 on 25psi to get fast carbonation but forgot to purge the keg tank a couple of times. I went back down and turned the psi to 10psi and purged it a 5 times to get the oxygen out I did this in about 10 min. Would the oxygen already be in the beer since I did not purge it or am I ok?

You should be okay, as the CO2 is heavier than O2 and should have insulated the beer from the O2 in the headspace, and 10 mins is a minimal period of time for any major exposure.

Now if you had a partially filled keg, and rolled it around on the floor for 10 mins trying to force carb, then you may have some adverse affect from the O2.

You should be okay, as the CO2 is heavier than O2 and should have insulated the beer from the O2 in the headspace, and 10 mins is a minimal period of time for any major exposure.
If you charge a newly filled keg to 25psi and turn off the gas, then come back 10 minutes later and turn it back on, you'll be able to tell from the gas rushing in that a lot of the gas has already been absorbed. CO2 being heavier than oxygen will not change the fact that gasses combine to a homogenous mixture. You forced some of the O2 in your head space into the beer. Was it enough to make a difference? Short term, no. Long term, yes. If you plan to drink this keg within a few weeks, you'll probably never notice.

Just don't do it again. :D

Now if you had a partially filled keg, and rolled it around on the floor for 10 mins trying to force carb, then you may have some adverse affect from the O2.

That's not how it works. Gasses do not stratify like liquids.

Your fine if you didn't shake it.

When I first started kegging, I forgot to purge the headspace and shook the keg while forcing CO2. Afterwards, I was bummed and figured I ruined my beer.

Well, to my surprise the beer tasted fine, was kept cold and consumed within a reasonable time. I guess the oxygen's effect on the beer can vary depending on temperature and storage time....

Bad practice yes, not worth worrying about IMHO and experience...
RDWHWHB

Oxidation is encouraged in cask ales....and some love them :)

Back