Keg type question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UKFreak

Reaction score
Yo, all! I've had a kegger for awhile now that uses Sanke connectors for my commercial kegs. I've always bottled my homebrew, but I've discovered some recipes I really like and am wanting to switch some of the Sanke taps over to handle hombrew kegs (or maybe just add HB kegs to the kegger). Anyway, I know how to set up the lines, etc. But I'm not that familiar with ball locks vs. pin locks. I've heard about Cornelius locks but really don't know enough about any of them. Before I buy kegs and fittings, would like to have some advice from those of you who have been keggin HB as to which is better. Whatcha thinkin?
:fro:

There are tons of posts debating ball locks vs. pin locks, so I'd suggest doing a search and reading up a bit.

In a nutshell: pin locks are a little wider and shorter than ball locks. If you're trying to cram them in a tight space, that can be a problem. Pin locks usually don't have a manual release valve in the lid, they have a different type of release valve that you can't pull. This is a slight inconvenience to some, but not really a problem since you can vent it through the gas post by pushing down on the poppet. Pin locks are also usually a couple bucks cheaper compared to ball locks.

In conclusion, not much difference. Pin locks might be slightly less convenient, they're a different shape, they're a little cheaper. I'd recommend sticking to one style so you aren't worrying about different QDs. I'd also recommend putting MFL/swivel nut fittings on all your lines and couplers so you can easily switch between the QD and sanke couplers.

:mug:

I'll 2nd the MFL/swivel connections. Another nice thing about pinlocks is that you can never get the gas and liquid lines mixed up - the pins on the post prevent it. Just a nice feature. You also know you have a pretty decent connection since the pins are engaged. A downside is needing a special socket to get the posts off. You can do it with an adjustable wrench and making a pin lock socket is pretty easy but if you have 2 sizes of pin locks and each size has a different size post, it's kind of a pain.

Latest posts

Back