Keg transportation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btencate

Reaction score
I am wanting to Bring two 5 gallon kegs with me on vacation. They will be traveling about 600 miles in the back of a truck if they go with. What is the best way to transport them. It will be in august so it will be hot out and I am sure it will be bouncy. Any suggestions?

hmmm i'd say in the cab... otherwise wrap it up well in moving blankets or something (for thermal and bouncing reasons)...

So what if I fill the kegs, add about 20 psi of co2 and let the trip shake them up? or is that too much shaking for an initial carbonation?

For initial carbing, you need to keep the gas on, and the temps cool. I think hitting them with 20 psi and shaking them up at warmer temps wouldn't help the situation at all.

I would wait until they're carbed as desired, then transport them in a large cooler or trash can filled with ice if you can. Once you get wherever you're going, you'll probably have to let them settle for a bit as well.

Place each keg in a primary bucket...place keg in back of truck...center kegs in buckets...fill with ice all the way around the kegs...top off with water and CO2...some ice will melt...top off with more ice...cover with a thick blanket...secure to wall of truck with bungie cords...;)

Back