Keg spacing in keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishBrewer74

Reaction score
I just found out I can squeeze a fourth corny in my keezer. The issue is that they are all wedged in tight which means tight against the keezer wall. My concern is I often see frost and frozen water on the sides. Am I at risk of a freezing issue?

My keezer is set at 40 and of course there is alcohol in the beer, but the inner walls obviously get below freezing when it is on and cooling and the thin metal walls of the kornys will pass the cold right through.

I have six ball locks wedged into a 10cf keezer and I'm pretty sure if I looked that close all six kegs are contacting the inner wall. But I place my external controller probe against the middle of the "fullest" keg, cover it with a chunk of closed cell foam and wrap that combo up with a velcro belt, and set the controller for 34° with a 2 degree positive differential and I've never had a hint of ice forming in a keg...

Cheers!

Mine barely slide in and out. If your getting ice on the walls and your controller is set at 40F...sounds like you need a fan to circulate the air in the keezer. There shouldn't be any ice on the walls.

I keep my probe submerged in water on top the compressor hump. I used to keep mine set at 34 with +\- 2 as well. I just recently upped it to 40 after reading an article about correct serving temps. Come to think of it, I don't know if I've seen any frost since I upped it.

Back