Keg setup question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
Been brewing about a year now and thinking about setting up a keg system. Initially it will be a basic setup from kegconnection, specifically this system http://www.kegconnection.com/2-faucet-basic-homebrew-kegerator-kit/
I plan on getting the Taprite regulator and two ball lock kegs and maybe the co2 tank.
Couple of questions:

Is there anything else I would need (connection wise) or should upgrade to? I do plan on using the party faucets for now until I can get a keezer built.

Is it best to get the co2 tank as well?

What does it cost to get a co2 tank filled (5 or 10lb) and how long will that last if running two kegs?

This is pretty similar to the setup I started with with a few differences. I had a lot of success using it for a year before I started upgrading to a keezer setup.

I would look at upgrading to a dual body regulator. Being able to have two different pressures running is great for either force carbing while still serving, or serving beers at different **pressures**. I use the second body to serve soda water at a higher pressure than beer and to force carb other kegs while keeping my two beer taps flowing.

$65 for a 5lb tank isn't a bad deal but you can probably find something better if you look around. For size I would say go bigger if you can afford to up front. The cost of filling a tank changes by only a few bucks for bigger tanks. You will save money in the long run with a bigger tank since you will fill it much less often. My local show fills 5lbs for 16 or 10lbs for 20.

I have found that CO2 prices vary drastically even within my local area so I can't judge what it will be in Nola. Hopefully a local can help you out on that one. Around here (Maryland) I pay ~$20 to fill up a 10lb tank. I have seen prices as low as $16 and up to $25 for the same fill.

With a 10lb tank I generally get 9 months worth of serving out of it. In a given month I will generally carb and serve one or two kegs of beer and on or two kegs of water with it. I also use it to move sanitizer, purge headspace, and transfer between fermenters and kegs.

This is pretty similar to the setup I started with with a few differences. I had a lot of success using it for a year before I started upgrading to a keezer setup.

I would look at upgrading to a dual body regulator. Being able to have two different pressures running is great for either force carbing while still serving, or serving beers at different temps. I use the second body to serve soda water at a higher pressure than beer and to force carb other kegs while keeping my two beer taps flowing.

$65 for a 5lb tank isn't a bad deal but you can probably find something better if you look around. For size I would say go bigger if you can afford to up front. The cost of filling a tank changes by only a few bucks for bigger tanks. You will save money in the long run with a bigger tank since you will fill it much less often. My local show fills 5lbs for 16 or 10lbs for 20.

I have found that CO2 prices vary drastically even within my local area so I can't judge what it will be in Nola. Hopefully a local can help you out on that one. Around here (Maryland) I pay ~$20 to fill up a 10lb tank. I have seen prices as low as $16 and up to $25 for the same fill.

With a 10lb tank I generally get 9 months worth of serving out of it. In a given month I will generally carb and serve one or two kegs of beer and on or two kegs of water with it. I also use it to move sanitizer, purge headspace, and transfer between fermenters and kegs.

Thanks for the info.
I sent an email the local Airgas office and they don't fill co2 cylinders, they only exchange them. I thought that's how they operate. In that regard it really doesn't pay to buy a tank if I will have to exchange for a used tank.

There is one other welding supply company I'm waiting to hear back from. Hopefully they will fill instead of exchanging.

I take your advice and upgrade to the dual body regulator.

I actually ordered the same kit the other day. I chose the Taprite Dual Body, upgraded to the beer lines and went with ball lock kegs. I managed to get a 20lb tank off Craigslist for $65 that has a hydro date of 2014. I have a few places around me that swap tanks and my LHBS fills so I'm set in that regard. Excited to get it delivered.

Planning to eventually get 5 kegs in my keezer with 3 taps. The CO2 gets to stay outside.

Well found out the Airgas down the road from my office doesn't fill beverage grade co2 but they will swap out a 10 lb cylinder for $27. Seems high to me. I prefer to have my own cylinder to get fill vs swapping. I'll have to continue checking around.

Yeah, that seems a bit steep. There is a place by me that claims they fill 20lb for $11--I haven't tried them out yet.

In terms of the tank. It's hard to find places who will fill co2. I ended up buying the cheapest steel co2 refurbished tank I could with a recent hydro date from beverage elements and then I exchanged at the lhbs

I had this discussion when I started kegging. The local co2 swap shop said there were tanks in service that had been manufactured in the 50's. Just pressure test every 5 years and move on. Find a home brewer that is getting out of kegging, or find someone that wants to upgrade to a bigger tank. Spending the money for a shiny new tank is a waste IMHO, they're just going to take it away from you and give you a rusty one from the 50s. The steel tanks are a bit bigger than aluminum, so be sure that *either* fits into you're keezer.

You can maybe call up some welding shops, tool/construction equipment rental stores, and shops that deal with fire extinguishers (we have a local store called H&K Fire Protection that at least used to fill tanks). I have never been but around here I have heard of people getting their tanks filled at places like that.

Maybe it's just the DIY guy in me, but that seems just a tad expensive for what you're getting.

Here is a better single regulator for $43.

Here is a 2-way manifold for $17.

Gas connects are $3/each.

Swivel nuts are $1.50/each.

Liquid disconnects are $3/each.

Picnic faucets are $1.50/each.

Beer line is $0.50/foot.

Gas line is $0.50/foot.

So I think that breaks down to something like this:

$43 - Regulator
$17 - Manifold
$6 - Gas connects
$6 - Liquid connects
$6 - Swivel nuts
$3 - Faucets
$5 - Beer line (10')
$5 - Gas line (10')

That's $93, and you've got a Taprite regulator instead of that Chudnow. Only missing is the hose clamps which you can pickup at your local hardware store.

A couple of tips you might consider:

I'd also go with a dual regulator. You will enjoy being able to carb a keg while you also serve one. Here is a very nice one for $79.

You should get your CO2 tank from EZryder on here. He has great prices and fast shipping. Here's his thread with the link to his latest price list. Don't worry about it being used. You are almost certainly going to go with exchanging it anyway.

I recommend going with the biggest tank you have space for, assuming you will be keeping it outside your kegerator.

Check your local hydroponics supply shop for CO2 exchanges. I can get my 20# tank exchanged there for $13. That's compared to my LHBS that charges $25 to exchanges a 5# tank.

Maybe it's just the DIY guy in me, but that seems just a tad expensive for what you're getting.

Here is a better single regulator for $43.

Here is a 2-way manifold for $17.

Gas connects are $3/each.

Swivel nuts are $1.50/each.

Liquid disconnects are $3/each.

Picnic faucets are $1.50/each.

Beer line is $0.50/foot.

Gas line is $0.50/foot.

So I think that breaks down to something like this:

$43 - Regulator
$17 - Manifold
$6 - Gas connects
$6 - Liquid connects
$6 - Swivel nuts
$3 - Faucets
$5 - Beer line (10')
$5 - Gas line (10')

That's $93, and you've got a Taprite regulator instead of that Chudnow. Only missing is the hose clamps which you can pickup at your local hardware store.

A couple of tips you might consider:

I'd also go with a dual regulator. You will enjoy being able to carb a keg while you also serve one. Here is a very nice one for $79.

You should get your CO2 tank from EZryder on here. He has great prices and fast shipping. Here's his thread with the link to his latest price list. Don't worry about it being used. You are almost certainly going to go with exchanging it anyway.

I recommend going with the biggest tank you have space for, assuming you will be keeping it outside your kegerator.

Check your local hydroponics supply shop for CO2 exchanges. I can get my 20# tank exchanged there for $13. That's compared to my LHBS that charges $25 to exchanges a 5# tank.

Thanks for the info and links. I'll definitely take a look.
I have looked at EZryder's post and thought about getting one of his cylinders when i'm ready.

First thing is I need to find a local place to fill the cylinders. I don't want to travel an hour just to get a tank filled. But if I only have to do it every 6-9 months I guess that's not too bad.

As of this moment, I'm unsure if I will store the cylinder in or out of the keezer. I was leaning to in for now but that could change once I get all the equipment.

Unfortunately we have no hydroponics stores locally. I think the closet one is in New Orleans and I'm about an hour outside NOLA. But it may be worth checking into to see if they fill cylinders.

When I was setting up for my own keg system, I dithered on what to do w/r/t the CO2 tanks. I ended up getting a couple 5-pound tanks, reasoning that I would always have a spare tank and/or the ability to run two separate systems if the need arose.

BrewInternational, as drgonzo2k2, has some good prices; I just checked on two 5-pounders, shipped to Wisconsin where I live. They're $49.99 each plus under $20 shipping for both, so it's less than $60 per 5-pound tank if you buy two.

I'll eventually get a 20-pounder, I'm sure, but for now those are serving very well.

I get them filled at a fire/safety store, but the LHBS also does tank exchanges. The fills cost, IIRC, about $18 each, the LHBS charges $20 to exchange.

BTW, the one thing I'd suggest is not cheaping out on anything--get what you're going to wish you had a year from now. I've bought three Perlick 650s faucets from Morebeer (on sale at $49.99) because they're the flow-control faucets and Perlick seems to be the gold standard. I haven't even made my keezer yet, but I know what I'm going to put on it, and the faucets are sitting there, waiting for the opportunity. :)

First thing is I need to find a local place to fill the cylinders. I don't want to travel an hour just to get a tank filled. But if I only have to do it every 6-9 months I guess that's not too bad.

All the more reason to go with a bigger tank, in my opinion - less frequent fills. FYI - I've had a 20# on my 6 tap setup that gets daily use since early October, and it still reads in the green.

Of course it's crucial to see what's available to be filled or exchanged in your area. A 20# tank won't do you any good if places only exchange 5# tanks.

You should check for beverage service places (like that service restaurants). We have one nearby, and they will fill any sort of tank, CO2, Beer Gas, or pure Nitrogen.

Also check around with liquor stores that sell kegs. There's a couple in this area that do a pretty steady keg business, so they also do tank exchanges.

When I was setting up for my own keg system, I dithered on what to do w/r/t the CO2 tanks. I ended up getting a couple 5-pound tanks, reasoning that I would always have a spare tank and/or the ability to run two separate systems if the need arose.

BrewInternational, as drgonzo2k2, has some good prices; I just checked on two 5-pounders, shipped to Wisconsin where I live. They're $49.99 each plus under $20 shipping for both, so it's less than $60 per 5-pound tank if you buy two.

I'll eventually get a 20-pounder, I'm sure, but for now those are serving very well.

I get them filled at a fire/safety store, but the LHBS also does tank exchanges. The fills cost, IIRC, about $18 each, the LHBS charges $20 to exchange.

BTW, the one thing I'd suggest is not cheaping out on anything--get what you're going to wish you had a year from now. I've bought three Perlick 650s faucets from Morebeer (on sale at $49.99) because they're the flow-control faucets and Perlick seems to be the gold standard. I haven't even made my keezer yet, but I know what I'm going to put on it, and the faucets are sitting there, waiting for the opportunity. :)

My plan is to get a few pieces here and there when they go on sale. My goal is to have my keezer up and running by Christmas. So far the main hang up is the co2 refills.

I actually ordered the same kit the other day. I chose the Taprite Dual Body, upgraded to the beer lines and went with ball lock kegs. I managed to get a 20lb tank off Craigslist for $65 that has a hydro date of 2014. I have a few places around me that swap tanks and my LHBS fills so I'm set in that regard. Excited to get it delivered.

Planning to eventually get 5 kegs in my keezer with 3 taps. The CO2 gets to stay outside.

Did you get your kit? If so, satisfied?

Did you get your kit? If so, satisfied?

Yeah, I got my kit delivered about a week or two ago. I tested by carbonating some water and everything seems to be working fine--all the connections seem great. The box had a ton of packing paper, so contents were safe.

I'm hoping to finish my keezer this week (painting takes forever) and will also be brewing too. :rockin:

Oh, and in regards to my CO2 situation: My LHBS fills 20# tanks for $25. The $11 place I found was for swaps only. Although I didn't pay "shiny new" prices for my tank (I don't think so at least...), the tank IS pretty good looking, so I'm debating whether to swap or fill.

It's just a tank. If it serves it's purpose the way it looks is a trivial concern.

I found a place in Baton Rouge that fills for $1/lb if you bring in your own tank with a $10 min charge. So I think I will try and find a 10 lb tank or two 5 lb tanks that has been recently tested. I plan on a two keg setup so I think a 10lb tank will work. Baton Rouge is an hour away as is New Orleans so a road trip when needed.

Back