keg rookie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not too experienced myself (I splurged on a pre-made kegerator and am just upgrading odds and ends), but the fridge you linked to has a top freezer, which I think makes it unsuitable for a conversion. Other DIYers may know how to remove the freezer, but all the mini-fridge kegerators I've seen are freezerless. Just an FYI.

It all depends on where the lines and cooling coils are. I am unsure about the freezer part being there. I suspect that inside the freezer box is where the cooling plate/coils are, and I doubt it has a separate thermostat so the "freezer" is only colder because it has a smaller area to keep cold that is right next to the cooling elements.

If that is true then you should be ok, as long as the cooling coils are not up top where you want to drill. (not helping much if you are ordering it and cant check it out beforehand)

I converted a full size fridge since I had the space (apartment size is perfect) and it gives you the freezer up top for storing glassware and hops :D

On the up side, it looks like the "freezer" is just some removable plastic pieces (ie: the door and "drip tray"). On the down side, it isn't obvious whether there is a conventional evaporator or a cold plate, nor how either might be plumbed to the compressor loop (top? rear? side?)

You'd have to get an eyeball on it to know what's up...

Cheers!

What you should be nervous about is bending the cold plate out of the way to be able to fit a keg in there without kinking or breaking the coolant lines. That fridge design is not ideally suited for conversion to a kegerator.

On the up side, it looks like the "freezer" is just some removable plastic pieces (ie: the door and "drip tray"). On the down side, it isn't obvious whether there is a conventional evaporator or a cold plate, nor how either might be plumbed to the compressor loop (top? rear? side?)

You'd have to get an eyeball on it to know what's up...

Cheers!

Google fu implies that it's a cold plate in the bottom of the freezer compartment. Most of those designs are plumbed through the back, but who knows.

Hi

Bending the cold plate / coils is a risky thing. You can easily crack a line. If you do, the fridge is junk. There's no rational way to repair it.

You will have more money in the "stuff" to go with the fridge than a new fridge (or better yet chest freezer) would cost. Getting everything built up and finding it's not working (as in slow leak) is no fun at all. Been there done that ...

Bob

I had that exact fridge that I turned into a kegerator. It was super easy to bend the freezer down. The line is very flexible. Just bend slowly. Before you bend it make sure the fridge works. Then bend it and check again. It was so easy it's going to be hard to screw it up. But if for some reason it doesn't work after bending just bend it back and exchange it. Don't cut the hole in the top until you know it's working right in the bent position. It has no trouble fitting 2 ball lock kegs if you cut the plastic interior door panel off. I also had to relocate the thermostat knob a couple inches back to fit both kegs. It's very easy just have to trim a small peice of foam/plastic and screw it back in. There is also NO cooling lines in the top so no worries. There is a diagram on the back of the fridge that shows where the cooling lines are. It's also extremely quiet. I have another mini fridge( haier) and it's much louder. Also if your get that kegging kit with tower, ask to upgrade to 10ft beverage lines. It comes with 5 ft which will probably give you foamy pours. It shouldn't cost more than $10 for the extra length line.

I had that exact fridge that I turned into a kegerator. It was super easy to bend the freezer down. The line is very flexible. Just bend slowly. Before you bend it make sure the fridge works. Then bend it and check again. It was so easy it's going to be hard to screw it up. But if for some reason it doesn't work after bending just bend it back and exchange it. Don't cut the hole in the top until you know it's working right in the bent position. It has no trouble fitting 2 ball lock kegs if you cut the plastic interior door panel off. I also had to relocate the thermostat knob a couple inches back to fit both kegs. It's very easy just have to trim a small peice of foam/plastic and screw it back in. There is also NO cooling lines in the top so no worries. There is a diagram on the back of the fridge that shows where the cooling lines are. It's also extremely quiet. I have another mini fridge( haier) and it's much louder. Also if your get that kegging kit with tower, ask to upgrade to 10ft beverage lines. It comes with 5 ft which will probably give you foamy pours. It shouldn't cost more than $10 for the extra length line.

ok, i am really nervous about bending the freezer. i wold really like to make this a 2 keg fridge but im afraid to chance with the freezer, could you elaborate more about how to do the freezer? and what about the door and the thermostat??

Thanks!!

It's very easy, remove 4 screws that hold the freezer and slowly bend it down. The door is easy, just use a razor to cut the protruding plastic and then a knife to cut the protruding foam. The thermostat can be totally removed if you plan to use a temp controller. but if you use the stock thermostat, it's held on by a couple screws. Unsrew it cut the foam ridge behind it and move it back about an inch. The wires are long enough to reach, then screw it back on in the new position. The bending of the freezer, relocation of the thermostat, cutting the door, drilling a hole for the tower, installing the tower, and installing a mfl bulkhead to keep the co2 outside took all of 30 min. It's very easy. I wouldn't be worried. If your really worried bend the freezer first if something goes wrong bend it back to stock and return it as defective.

Latest posts

Back