Keg question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuffyBros

@DuffyBeers
Reaction score
So I just received my keg equipment last week. Was wondering if I keg my beer and force carbonate it, is there anyway to bottle a few bombers of it so I can enjoy it at a later date? Or do I have to bottle it and then keg the remaining beer?

Probably a silly question but just thought I would ask! Thanks!!

Duffy-

Sure you could easily do that! I have a new commercial "Beer gun", but you can make a homemade counterpressure bottle filler very easily. I did it for a long time before I got the Beergun for Christmas this year.

Here's the link:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

I use the homemade counter-pressure bottle filler. I use it to save beers for later and for competitions. It works great. Just make sure you sanitize everything very well.

+1 - I also use the MacGuyver'ed counter-pressure filler - I've used if for filling growlers (so much less foam that way!) and for filling bottles to give to friends and family. And I think it cost me all of $6 for the parts I didn't already have on hand.

Looks up the Bowie Bottler on this site. I you have a Perlick Faucet it's the best way to bottle. Basically it a SS piece that pushes right into your Perlick. Easy to use and fast. Just another option.

Sure you could easily do that! I have a new commercial "Beer gun", but you can make a homemade counterpressure bottle filler very easily. I did it for a long time before I got the Beergun for Christmas this year.

Just hearing the words "beer gun" triggers an uncontrollable urge to go buy one!!
:rockin:

Look up the Bowie Bottler on this site. If you have a Perlick Faucet it's the best way to bottle. Basically it a SS piece that pushes right into your Perlick. Easy to use and fast. Just another option.

Sorry I haven't had my coffee yet and I couldn't stand the grammatical errors so I had to repost.

The BMBF works great, but I've found an even simpler solution. If you have the SS Perlicks, a length of 3/16" beverage line will jam tight into the spout if you cut it on an angle. Cut the other end at a 45, slide on the drilled #2 stopper, and you're ready to go. Just hold the stopper in place and whack the tap open, then you can throttle the beer flow by the amount of gas you let bypass the stopper.

When I used the BMBF, I'd have to depressurize the keg down to 2 or 3 psi or I'd end up with half a bottle of foam before the counterpressure effect kicked in. This way, you're already getting foam free beer if your lines are balanced, so you don't have to mess with the pressures. Plus, the smaller diameter line barely drips at all when moving from bottle to bottle whereas I'd lose over half of the beer in the racking cane when using that design.

Back