Keg purging issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

off7spring

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently made a kettle soured hoppy ale that I racked onto frozen pineapple and pineapple juice and then dry hopped. Super excited to see how the final product turns out.

I recently swapped out my keg at my local homebrew store and didn't realize until last night after I had filled it with my new (hopefully) delicious beer, that the keg they had given me has pin lock connectors, not the ball lock ones I always use.

I don't have any pin lock adapters and of course the LHBS is closed today due to snow. Last night after kegging, I opened it up and tried to put a blanket of CO2 in the headspace. After that, I was able to push the pin in on the gas input and get some gas in there enough to purge it a few times (I sanitized everything beforehand).

This morning when I checked, it looks like the CO2 leaked out overnight. So I adjusted the lid and was able to fill it again and am hoping it holds until I can get to the homebrew store tomorrow.

My question is: how much should I be worrying about oxidation? The volume of the keg is 5 1/4 gallons or so...which leaves about 2.5 inches of headspace.

Any advice or stories to help my nerves would be much appreciated!

I'd say that after all you've done you shouldn't worry. You've likely managed to push out as much air as possible. So don't stress about it. I'd be more concerned about a potential leak and loss of CO2 once you get it hooked up to your gas permanently.

I'd say that after all you've done you shouldn't worry. You've likely managed to push out as much air as possible. So don't stress about it. I'd be more concerned about a potential leak and loss of CO2 once you get it hooked up to your gas permanently.

Thanks! Yea I usually have to re-situate the lid some after I gas it up...Hopefully I get it worked out beforehand and what I put in a few minutes ago doesn't leak out!

Your CO2 may not be leaking at all. If you pressurize the headspace over uncarbonated beer, CO2 will absorb into the beer. If you don't have the keg hooked up to a source of CO2, then the pressure in the headspace will drop as the CO2 is absorbed into the beer. This will happen over a few hours. If you lose pressure in a matter of minutes, then it's probably leaking.

Brew on :mug:

Your CO2 may not be leaking at all. If you pressurize the headspace over uncarbonated beer, CO2 will absorb into the beer. If you don't have the keg hooked up to a source of CO2, then the pressure in the headspace will drop as the CO2 is absorbed into the beer. This will happen over a few hours. If you lose pressure in a matter of minutes, then it's probably leaking.

Brew on :mug:
Didn't think about that...good point. So I guess I shouldn't be overly concerned with oxidation? Also, I found another homebrew store that's open so I'm heading there after work and should have the keg pressurized in a few hours.

Latest posts

Back