keg PRV weld in bung?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apache_brew

Reaction score
Anybody know of a source for weld in bungs that standard corny keg 40+psi PRV's thread into? I know they make threaded ones that use a gasket but I want a weld in version. Worst case is a salvage some old corny lids and cut them out myself.

prv.JPG

What's on the underside? Pics?
I don't know that that's a welded on feature on my lids...I can't remember

I have a brand new lid and cannot find a hint of welding on either side (or inside, for that matter) of the PRV receiver.
I suspect it's been soldered or sintered in place, or perhaps spin-welded though I think that technology might be over the top for a keg lid...

Cheers!

Why not just get a PRV that uses 1/4" (or even 1/8") NPT threads and get a bung welded into the lid (or wherever you're going to get it welded into)? I've bought the 1/4" stainless bungs before, and they're not that expensive. You can then get the correct pressure release PRV you want (several sources for those too) and use that. I've seen those on the McMaster site.

I did order up a PRV from Keg Connection, but the picture was very deceiving. It LOOKED like it was 1/4" thread. Nope, more like 1/2" and aluminum. Zero use for me.

Good point....yeah, I think I've noticed this in the past ....
So they take a blank sheet of CRES, stamp out the blank to trim the perimeter and also a hole where the PRV o-ring will sit.
Then they form the lip on the perimeter and a depression for the PRV o-ring...
Then they attach the upper part of the tube...weld or solder I'm not sure
So if you were going to weld, if you had a surface that does not have a depression to seat the PRV seal, then you may need a different type of seal and ergo a different PRV foot.

Why not just get a PRV that uses 1/4" (or even 1/8") NPT threads and get a bung welded into the lid (or wherever you're going to get it welded into)? I've bought the 1/4" stainless bungs before, and they're not that expensive. You can then get the correct pressure release PRV you want (several sources for those too) and use that. I've seen those on the McMaster site.

I did order up a PRV from Keg Connection, but the picture was very deceiving. It LOOKED like it was 1/4" thread. Nope, more like 1/2" and aluminum. Zero use for me.
I was hoping to just use beer parts (replacement corny screw in PRV's). I'm over everything NPT cold side brewing related. The old school Cornelius lids are definitely welded in. I think my easiest course of action will be to salvage some old lids. My plan is to weld them into tri-clamp end caps to use with sanke keg fermenter assemblies.

IMG_1579.jpg
IMG_1580.jpg
IMG_1581.jpg

I bought a few of them years ago on aliexpress, but I don't see them there anymore. I might still have one left over.

Oh yeah - that's definitely welded.
And I reckon I may have some lids with welded PRVs, but I can't open kegs with beer in them to check :)
The one unused lid I have is almost brand new and was definitely fabricated differently....

Cheers!

The solder in my photo was from me soldering it to something and later taking it off. I still think I have a clean one.

Back