keg pressure while on vacation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops4life

Reaction score
Last night I kegged a wheat IPA (warrior makes a dandy bittering hop)... blasted it at about 30 psi's for a while while rocking the keg last night, then set it to around 12 psi's before i went to bed and left it on that until tonight. Took a sample seemed "OK", still needs a little more carbonation but overall not to bad given only 24 hours in the keg.

My question now is on friday night I'll be leaving until the following sunday morning. So I will be away from the keg for 9-10 days. Should I cut off the gas and just let the built up pressure sit in the keg for that time and save the co2, or do i need to leave some pressure going while we are gone??

I am thinking I can cut it off then hit it with a blast on sunday when i get back and all should be fine, just wasn't sure if leaving it cut off for the prolonged time would have any real affect.

thanks in advance.

Did you bleed it before you set it at 12 psi? If not, when you come back from vacation you will have an over-carbed beer. Before you leave release the extra gas and set it to 12 or 15psi and it should be perfect when you get back.

Back