Keg Pressure Keeps Increasing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NigeltheBold

Reaction score
I'm new to kegging, and I transferred a batch into the keg for the first time about two days ago (5 gallon corny keg). After letting the beer cool overnight in the kegerator, I burped the keg and hooked it up to the CO2 to force carbonate. The carbonating chart said that I needed to set my pressure at about 5 psi to carbonate the beer properly, so I adjusted the screw to 5 psi. Several minutes later, the gauge had climbed to about 8psi, so I backed the screw out on the regulator and released the pressure in the keg. I then set the regulator back to 5psi and pressurized the keg. I came back this morning, and the gauge read 10psi.

In other words, the pressure keeps increasing for awhile after I set it. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or if the regulator might be faulty? Please let me know if you have any suggestions...

If the regulator was functioning properly, it shouldn't be increasing. That doesn't sound right to me. Sounds like the reg

Could it have anything to do with the fact that the CO2 tank and regulator are in the fridge with the keg?

That's not a lot. See this chart and set it based on the temp in the cooler:

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

Once the cooler is at target temp and the keg and co2 bottle are at the same temp, then the pressure should hold. I suspect possible temp variance of components.

Also if the FG was not reached, it could be carbonating naturally as well.

That's not a lot. See this chart and set it based on the temp in the cooler:

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

Once the cooler is at target temp and the keg and co2 bottle are at the same temp, then the pressure should hold. I suspect possible temp variance of components.

Also if the FG was not reached, it could be carbonating naturally as well.

Hmmm... looks like the table I was using was a little off. My fridge sits at roughly 35 degrees, so I'll adjust the pressure accordingly. It's an English brown ale, so I'm assuming it would fit into the green category on the chart you showed me. The FG was definitely reached, and the gravity had stabilized, so I doubt it's fermenting (who knows though). I read somewhere that the regulator may be slower to respond since it is cold, so it may take longer for the gauge to read correctly. I'll set it slightly lower than needed and see if that works.

Mine goes up a little after setting it. It may be due to the naturally carbed kegs. I just wait 5 minutes and readjust if needed. I have it set a 11 psi for everything with roughly 38 degrees.

Back