keg post cross threading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stever1000

Reaction score
The liquid post on one of my kegs won't screw on straight. The first five or six full rotations are perfect, then as I tighten the post almost all the way, it looks crooked and isn't straight

Why would this happen? I'm worried this is part of the reason my beer isn't fully carbonating..

I guess the title is misleading... I'm not intentionally cross-threading it, it goes on smoothly but at the end it crosses itself...

If it starts straight it won't "cross itself" as you tighten it. If the threads are screwed up it's going on crooked from the start. Depending on how bad it is you may have a scrap metal keg. If it's not sealing you won't carb up right but you'll also drain your CO2 pretty quick. Spray some Starsan around the base of the post, if it bubble you aren't getting a seal, if it doesn't then you're in good shape and should carb up just fine.

If it starts straight it won't "cross itself" as you tighten it. If the threads are screwed up it's going on crooked from the start. Depending on how bad it is you may have a scrap metal keg. If it's not sealing you won't carb up right but you'll also drain your CO2 pretty quick. Spray some Starsan around the base of the post, if it bubble you aren't getting a seal, if it doesn't then you're in good shape and should carb up just fine.

I used spray san to check for bubbles and no bubbles foamed. It's puzzling because it is visually at an angle, but seals fine :confused:

i have a couple crooked ones as well. one of them is actually crooked because it was impacted and the keg bent, both still carb up fine tho.

Excellent, well that solves the mystery. It must have been knocked or dropped in its life :mug:

The liquid post on one of my kegs won't screw on straight. The first five or six full rotations are perfect, then as I tighten the post almost all the way, it looks crooked and isn't straight

Why would this happen? I'm worried this is part of the reason my beer isn't fully carbonating..

Test it. Get a spray bottle of soapy water and spray it over the post when there's pressure in the the keg. If it leaks it will create a bubble.

I've also put air in an empty keg say 30psi and wait a few days and release the pressure. You'll know if its sealing then.

The angle might be due to someone dropping it sometime or hitting the post.

You could even use your other fitting and see if that one "cross threads". I would put in back on the orginial post after however. You need a 7/8 wrench.

Back