Keg Or Rack 1st To Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcav

Still Believing In God, Family &This Great Country
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok this is only my second cider that I have made. The first one I made I racked into a secondary fermenter after primary fermentation was over. This time I used Safale S04 yeast and it's been a month and it's incredibly clear already. I thought I'd cold crash it for a few days and then rack to a keg. Is this a bad idea or should I go ahead and put it in a secondary for another few weeks and then keg it. I didn't take a gravity reading yet so I know I probably should do that first and see what it is and then go from there, so am I answering my own question or do others bypass the secondary like I want to do? I always take gravity readings when I make beer, but for cider this is already a small batch (3 gallons) to go in a 2.5 gallon keg and I didn't want to waste any taking a gravity reading. Also for a secondary the size of this small batch I don't have another vessel small enough and there will be a lot of head space if I secondary this batch.

John

I almost always use Safale S04 yeast and age no more than a month after primary. (Usually less.) Yes it does get incredibly clear in a very short time. I have recently cold crashed all of my ciders for a few days and then rack to a keg without a true secondary.

You can go to secondary for another few weeks and then keg it if you think there are flavor profiles you would like to age out. (Taste it and see how it is if OK then move to keg.)

I would strongly encourage a gravity reading and ensure stable for a few days before going to bottle or keg. Not as critical in keg but still important to understand if fermentation is complete.

If you do not have a secondary vessel that will minimize head space for a batch this size do not go to secondary, just go straight to the keg under CO2 pressure. Cider will change drastically for the worse in the presence of oxygen. Once in the keg you can allow the cider to age and I would recommend doing so as this will only improve the flavor of your finished product.

Excellent, thanks to both of you! I will take a reading and see where I am at fermentation wise. Then I will cold crash it for a few days and then in the keg she goes. I will then keep the keg in the extra fridge and keep it cold and serve when ready. Thanks again!

John

Just to update: I pitched the yeast into almost 3 gallons of "Martinellis" Gold Medal 100 % apple juice on 1/31/16, into a 3 gallon carboy. I took a gravity reading and it was 1.057 and I put it away at room temperature. I took both of your advice into consideration, thanks again for that. I took a gravity reading and today it was 1.000 so I think we are good. I tasted the sample and man is it good. I like this yeast better than the other champagne yeast I used on the first batch I did. The Safale S-04 fermented it dry but still left behind a good amount of apple flavor, just like Yooper said it would in her sticky post. Thanks Yoop! I really liked the flavor and so did my wife.

I like it just the way it is still, but I will carbonate it in the keg. So I put it in the spare fridge and will cold crash it for a few days, and then I will rack it to my small 2.5 gallon keg, and carb it. Thanks again and I think I will do it this way from now on. There are no unpleasant flavors that I need to rack to a secondary to get rid of, and I don't have a small enough carboy and there will be too much head space if I secondary it anyway. It tastes great the way it is now and I am good with the gravity reading. Unless I am missing something I am kegging this batch in three days.

John

Back