Keg on its side

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albion85

Reaction score
Hey,
I have a question regarding how to store a keg. Im looking to make the jump from bottling to kegging but I am on a tight budget. I cant get a keggerator for some time but I can perhaps put the keg in our main fridge. I also usually brew 3 gallon BIAB batches so a 3 gallon pin lock keg (50 dollars from homebrewing.com) I think I can get this in there but it would have to be lying on its side. Ive seen conflicted things on the internet about doing this. Would it be possible?

Thanks for any advice

Sure it's possible. It won't hurt the beer. The only thing is the dip tube is typically around the center area so after the key is half gone you might not be able to get anymore beer out.

depends on how handy you are with cutting tool and what tools youve got. Its solid stainless steel but not like wolverwines bones or anything. Id bet a pair of hedge trimmer could cut it. It normally bends towards the bottom center of the keg, which is dome shaped. Youd need to turn the thing 180 degrees and cut a bit of it off from the bottom or else it woulndt fit when turned

If you are ordering used 3gal pin-lock kegs from AiH, most of the ones I received had straight diptubes down one side of the keg. I have used these kegs on their sides when my kegerator is overfilled. You might be able to request only straight diptube ones.

Also, you probably want to ensure that you have a check valve on your gas line as it will be under beer for some duration of the keg's life and you don't want to accidentally get beer into your regulator, etc.

You can do it, but I wouldn't. IMHO it sounds like a PIA. Get a freezer from CL on the cheap.

Latest posts

Back