keg not carbing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nystevecf

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok guys I have had the system for over a year and never had an issue with something not carbing. But recently my apfelwein and IPA will not carb up. They will foam like all hell when I pour but it seems like little to none is actually penetrating the beer or apfelwein. Any ideas oh kegging gurus?

P.S. I have had it as high as 30 psi for 7 days and still nothing.

First of all beer/apwelfein cannot foam if it isnt carbonating. THe reality is either it is over carbonated or your system is not balanced. This means either your line is not long enough and/or you serving pressure is too high.

Are you pouring at 30spi? Disc the gas, bleed the pressure on the keg, set the pressure on reg to 10psi and then hook it back up. I recommend 10' of 3/16 ID liquid line.

A glass full of foam is going to taste like flat beer. I had some issues a while back and even just a bit of foam at the beginning cause all my beer to foam. I pour out the 1st few ounces. I cooled my glasses. Added a fan to keep the lines cool and balanced my system as I said above. All is well now. However I can tell you that an overcarbed beer will drive you crazy trouble shooting all kinds of items. So check that first.

First of all beer/apwelfein cannot foam if it isnt carbonating. THe reality is either it is over carbonated or your system is not balanced. This means either your line is not long enough and/or you serving pressure is too high.

Are you pouring at 30spi? Disc the gas, bleed the pressure on the keg, set the pressure on reg to 10psi and then hook it back up. I recommend 10' of 3/16 ID liquid line.

A glass full of foam is going to taste like flat beer. I had some issues a while back and even just a bit of foam at the beginning cause all my beer to foam. I pour out the 1st few ounces. I cooled my glasses. Added a fan to keep the lines cool and balanced my system as I said above. All is well now. However I can tell you that an overcarbed beer will drive you crazy trouble shooting all kinds of items. So check that first.
Thanks for the quick reply!

No I am not serving at 30 psi, but I will bleed the kegs and try again. It foams like crazy but there is no visable carbonation in the glass, but you bring up an interesting point because it will make you burp like hell lol. I will try what you suggested, thanks again for the info!

Since this is a new problem on a system that was working, I'd seriously consider replacing the beer lines. They can get beer scale in them and that will make the beer foam.

Worked like a charm, sometimes you need that outside POV. Thanks again for the help.

Back