Keg lid unseated while lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman768

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For my first lager, I pressurized the keg with 20 psi, and left it at about 35F for the last couple of months, and at that time it tasted pretty good. However, I went to draw my first glass of it yesterday and realized the lid had come unsealed at some point during the lagering process. After re-pressurizing and filling two glasses, the beer tastes extremely yeasty. I am wondering if I'm screwed. I suppose it could just be that the dip tube is sucking up the yeast from the bottom of the keg, but I have never had a beer taste so much like yeast, even when the yeast is in suspension.

Your beer is fine. Re-seat the lid, pressurize, and check for the leak.

You've likely just stirred some yeast into suspension while you were jacking with the lid. And you likely perceive more yeast character since most lager have little to hide.

Did you transfer to a serving keg after lagering? Or did you leave it in the lagering keg to serve? If you lagered in your serving keg you are sucking up yeast through the dip tube (which would leave your beer cloudy), the solution would be to transfer it to a different keg for serving leaving the sediment behind.

Well, it's definitely not that there was yeast in suspension. I carefully pulled a sample from the top of the keg today, and it has the same really yeasty taste and smell. Friggin' A...my first dumper :(

Back