Keg Konundrum and other fine messes.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrimalBrewer

Reaction score
Alrighty guys (and gals), I want to post a "hypothetical question to ya'll".

If a keg is sitting for a couple days with a open valve and no CO2, do you think the beer will go bad? Let's say that after two days the system was correctly pressurized with no more leaks and will be sitting for 5 more days to carb. Would all hope be lost?

An unrelated question, I have a wee heavy fermenting like nothing I've ever seen and it looks like it is at about 75 deg (dropping it to about 72 now). It had about 48hrs at 75-77 deg...something to worry about? Should I try and drop the temp further?

THANK YOU!!

If a keg is sitting for a couple days with a open valve and no CO2, do you think the beer will go bad?

No.

Let's say that after two days the system was correctly pressurized with no more leaks and will be sitting for 5 more days to carb. Would all hope be lost?

Not at all. Indeed, it's almost assuredly All Good. Although you're going to want to give that keg a second week to get up to carb.

An unrelated question, I have a wee heavy fermenting like nothing I've ever seen and it looks like it is at about 75 deg (dropping it to about 72 now). It had about 48hrs at 75-77 deg...something to worry about? Should I try and drop the temp further?

I'd try to knock that down to at least below 70°F, unless you're looking for a toasty hot brew...

Cheers!

Yeah, getting the temp down is tough in an upstairs duplex in Richmond. I am shooting for 70 now, but its not looking too good with the downstairs floor cranking up their heat! I've had the AC on and its still hard to do. At least my heating bill should be low this winter.

Back