Keg Kettle and Thermometer Questions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juslod

Reaction score
I am new to home brewing and I'm trying to acquire a keg to create into a brew kettle myself. The place where I work does stainless steel welding for airplane grade metal / applications, so the welder is able to do a stainless steel weld while using argon gas to prevent oxidizing the steel.

My problem lies in finding a keg, I found one that I've been offered for $25 but it is a rounded keg and not straight edge like most kettles I have seen. Will this cause any problems for a brew kettle, or should I really try to find a straight edge keg?

From what I understand it is best to have a 1/2" coupler welded flush at the bottom for a ball-valve to be installed, but what about a thermometer? Is it best to place that at the bottom (90 degrees away from the ball valve) or is it more efficient to install the thermometer higher (mid-pot)?

Another question I had was actually installing the thermometer, is it generally welded in permanently, or is there a fitting that uses an O-ring where the thermometer can slide out?

Thanks in advanced for any help!

If you use a 1/2" NPT or 1/4" NPT back thread thermometer then you would just have your welder weld in a coupling or half coupling for it.

You would mount the thermometer low enough so it will read for 5 gallon batches.

A straight side is more commonly used but because you will weld in the coupling you can use a curved wall keg without issue.

If you use a 1/2" NPT or 1/4" NPT back thread thermometer then you would just have your welder weld in a coupling or half coupling for it.

You would mount the thermometer low enough so it will read for 5 gallon batches.

A straight side is more commonly used but because you will weld in the coupling you can use a curved wall keg without issue.

BargainFittings, I was actually planning to buy all of my hardware from your store! You have an awesome selection.

It looks like you have a 3" face thermometer that is a 1/2" NPT (http://greatbargain.net/opencart/index.php?route=product/product&path=44_45&product_id=97). Does this mean this will screw right into a 1/2" coupler? Because then that would be perfect.

It is good to know that a curved wall keg won't be an issue because it seems to be the only thing I can find in my area... Thanks for the help btw.

Yes the thermometer I sell is 1/2" NPT male thread and will screw into a 1/2" NPT coupling.

You can have your welder install the couplings square when they weld them in.

Perfect, hopefully I'll have my keg within a week or two and I will be grabbing some couplers, a ball valve, the thermometer and some other scattered stuff :D

Latest posts

Back