Keg is carbonated but the beer isn’t

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JawnnyO

Reaction score
I have no idea what is wrong. I have a keg of beer that has been carbonating for over two weeks now. The beer flows well out of the tap. I measured the pressure with a spund and it registered 14 psi which is what I upped my co2 to a couple of days ago in case it was a gauge problem. I have sprayed starsan all around the QDs and lid. I can’t see or hear any leaks. I slowly unscrewed the gas DQ and it released co2, so I re tightened it. I have another keg in the kegerator that has been hooked up for 8-9 days. Both valves were open on the manifold. It came out the tap quite carbonated. I have no idea what is going wrong. Just that i have done something wrong, and i hope it is easy to correct. Thanks for any suggestions

I have no idea what is wrong. I have a keg of beer that has been carbonating for over two weeks now. The beer flows well out of the tap. I measured the pressure with a spund and it registered 14 psi which is what I upped my co2 to a couple of days ago in case it was a gauge problem.

Disconnect the CO2 and open the pressure relief valve on the keg until you don't hear CO2 exiting. That should take only a couple seconds. Then wait a few minutes and check the pressure again. If it's still 14 PSI (or close to it), your beer is in fact carbonated.

Okay so now I have a different problem. My beer is carbonated but tastes flat. Is that what oxidation does?

I think we need a bit more info, how long have you been kegging and is this the only beer that has been an issue? I’m asking if this is the first or close to the first then you might have some setup issues like line length and size.

It’s my third keg. I have used this keg before. The other keg in the kegerator is working fine, but too rough to drink now. Temp is 3-5 Carbonation is 14 psi.
Thanks for the help to both of you.

Back