Keg in fridge with off flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Belgian wit in the kegorator, first pint tasted off, seems like possibly fusel alcohol issues. I fermented the beer at temp too high (near 80 degrees probably). Yes I'm a noob. I left in primary for 10 days, then secondary for 5 weeks, then kegged/cooled.

I'm going to give it some time to improve. My question is ... should I leave the keg in the fridge or take it out? My goal is to wait and see if the flavor improves. Will warming the keg to room temp increase yeast activity? I'm not sure whether the fridge permanently deactivates the yeast.

Thanks

The yeast should be OK down to 35°F, considering it is fine/recommended to keep yeast in the fridge until pitching. However, if you used ale yeast, then they will be dormant at lower temperatures. I would say remove it from the fridge and see if they rouse and clean up behind themselves...

yeast can't clean up fusal alcohols though. for a wit, that much time in primary and secondary...its ready to drink. wits get drank pretty young because the style shouldn't need much aging to reach peak flavor.

If you were pushing 80F, its likely fusels. be ready for lighter fluid after taste, and wicked hangovers.

Most of the time I try to keep my ales no higher than 72F.

yeast can't clean up fusal alcohols though. for a wit, that much time in primary and secondary...its ready to drink. wits get drank pretty young because the style shouldn't need much aging to reach peak flavor.

Yep, I believe Malkore is right. Yeast don't do a very good job at cleaning up fusels, and witbiers are best drunk fresh. You are kinda hooped here (damned if you do, damned if you don't). It sounds like you have struck a fairly good compromise so far -- probably time to try drinking it.

The first sip or two are alright, but by the time I finish a pint I feel like someone is poisoning me. I guess having a half pint a night will be a good way to shed a few pounds. The fusel diet.

Back