Keg has haze, bottle from keg clear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmccague

Reaction score
I have had haze in almost all my kegs, even after a month... So I bottled a sixer from the keg, left for a week and the beer from the bottle is clear...but the keg is still hazy... What gives!

Trim the dip tube time? Try gelatin (never used)?

Tr

I'd be willing to bet your kegs are getting jostled a bit. Even without fining, if you let a keg cold crash long enough, it should clear after a few pints as the area around the dip tube gets cleared. Even a tiny nudge will slide stuff back in front of the dip tube and kick up a bit of sediment. Shortening or bending the diptube may help, as will cold crashing your beer BEFORE it goes into the keg, so you transfer much lest yeast and trub into the keg.

I've had this happen too, I think it's just easy to leave a little particulate behind in the bottle where in the keg you can't control it as easily. It might settle faster in a bottle also, not sure. Gelatin helps unless you are jostling the kegs before pouring a pint, but I only worry about it for certain styles or if I need a keg to clear fast.

Back