Keg Foaming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wherestheyeast

Reaction score
I recently bought a sanke coupler to dispense commercial beer from my homebrew keg setup. I've never (and don't) have foaming issues when dispensing homebrew, but get almost nothing but foam from the commercial keg. I'm using the same picnic tap & beer line that I used on my last homebrew keg.

In fact, after I'm done dispensing some of the commercial beer, I can see foam fill the beer line.

Any suggestions why this may be happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What Yooper said. Commercial beers tend to be carbonated at higher volumes of pressure than what homebrewers do. Slowly increase the gas pressure going to the keg until you stop seeing bubbles coming out of the coupler into the beer line.

If the pressure in the keg is greater than the pressure in your lines, it will "seep" bubbles in the lines and cause massive foaming. You can either turn up the pressure to counter this, or if you only have 1 regulator and the higher pressure will mess with your homebrew you can shake and burp the keg a few times to drop the carb pressure down a bit. It shouldnt get a flat taste unless you burped it too much. I had a keg of bud light, burped it a few times and found the slightly lower level of carb did not really bother it too much. The BMC drinkers at my party that day never complained either.

Back