Keg foaming up at the last 1/4?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SubmergedBrewing

Reaction score
I recently got back into homebrewing and kegged my hazy IPA a few weeks ago. Once it was carbonated, it was pouring perfectly with 12.75 psi on the keg, 10' of 5/16 id tubing with a picnic tap. Now, by feel, I probably have 10 or so pints left, and am getting foam ups in the hose and pint glass. Anything I can do to reduce foaming? Thanks.

The amount of beer left in the keg doesn't have anything to do with how the beer pours. You probably have developed a leak on the liquid side which is pulling air in when you pour, causing the foam. Check the clamps whch hold the beer line to the QD at the keg and the picnic tap and also the o-ring on the liquid out post of the keg.

12.75psi is quite high (assuming beer is somewhere between freezing and normal fridge temperatures). You might have over-carbonated what's left which would cause foaming.

I recently got back into homebrewing and kegged my hazy IPA a few weeks ago. Once it was carbonated, it was pouring perfectly with 12.75 psi on the keg, 10' of 5/16 id tubing with a picnic tap. Now, by feel, I probably have 10 or so pints left, and am getting foam ups in the hose and pint glass. Anything I can do to reduce foaming? Thanks.
Vent the keg of CO2 overnight and check it. When it's perfect add the gas back in. 12.75 sounds a bit high.

12.75psi is quite high (assuming beer is somewhere between freezing and normal fridge temperatures). You might have over-carbonated what's left which would cause foaming.

I'm only using what beersmith 3 puts out for the recommended style. At 2.3 vol of CO2, that equates to 12.6 PSI of CO2. Doesnt that mean that's what i keep it at or does that mean I force carb it with that amount and reduce the pressure after the fact. Furthermore, if i reduce the pressure, won't the carbonation go down over time due to the difference in pressure between the liquid and the gas? just trying to understand this process better.

Use this chart
https://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table/
At 42F and 12.75PSI, you have about 2.45 volumes of CO2. That's at the high end of normal, but you'll need a longer line that what you have or (as you've found) you'll get foaming. Try venting the keg until you're at about 8psi, leave it for 12 hours, then reconnect and leave at 11psi.

Be wary of using Beersmith for most calculations - I find it has lots of generalisations and errors that don't work for my brewing.

Could be a bad gauge reading lower than actual. Maybe its really 14psi. If thats not the case, you may have a pin hole in the dip tube. Once the beer drops below, co2 streams in mixing with the outgoing beer.

It hasnt been brought up yet but did you really mean to say 5/16 ID? That is 1/8" too large for serving line. If this is true, it IS your problem period.

I use a free app on my phone that works well.
McDantim EasyBlend Calculator by McDantim Inc
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mcdantim-easyblend-calculator/id1024225706?mt=8

Make sure the “pressure” category is the one that’s locked and enter all your other variables. The thing I like about this app is that it also takes your elevation into account. I live in Colorado and at my elevation, I need more pressure for the same volumes of CO2 that others need at lower elevations for the same results. I only have a single regulator feeding 4 kegs so I don’t get too hung up on different carb levels for different styles and run the same pressure for everything, which is around 14 psi for my system. I noticed the OP is in Hawaii so I assume closer to sea level. The reference to 5/16” lines would be where I’d start with the foam problem. Imbalanced system is my guess.

Back